Home

More than 5 pitch types

This is a discussion on More than 5 pitch types within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
More than 5 pitch types

A lot of the game`s best pitchers feature more than 5 pitches. Some guys like Tanaka throw up to 7 regularly. Also guys will throw variations depending on the desired effect (in the dirt, for a strike, show me, etc). A guy like Trevor Bauer is someone who tinkers. Theres enough buttons i`d like to see 7 slots At least.

The link has a photo of tanaka`s grips

http:// http://img.topvelocity.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/professional-pitch-grips.jpg

Last edited by Hustle1man; 05-17-2015 at 03:03 AM. Reason: bad link
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Rookie

basebalfan3000's Arena

Re: More than 5 pitch types

I would love that also i thought i was the only one that wanted more than 5 pitches.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

A system like the 2K series should be used. Press a button for pitch type, then another button for the pitch you want to press.

Fastball = x
x = 2 seamer [x] 4 seam [o] runner [triangle] cutter [square] sinker [r1] splitter [l1] forkball [r2]

Just about every pitcher in the league can and does throw a 4 seamer. Even if to just get them over for a strike. It's literally the first pitch just about everyone is shown and subsequently (somewhat) masters. Taking that into consideration another large majority of pitchers also have another fastball. Often a sinker/2 seamer or a cutter.

Off topic, but closely related - I'd like to see more pitch variety and more accurate representation of pitches in game. Sliders are a huge culprit. Some pitchers have a nasty slider that tails and fades away much like the action of a circle change or sinker or even an exaggerated cutter. Other guys throw a 12-6 or 1-7 variant with a sharp vertical drop right at the plate. Some guys throw both with a fairly noticeable speed difference. Split changes should be a thing, and not just split finger fastballs.

I'd be happy with more pitches to throw though. I'm not saying every guy needs a 7-8 pitch repertoire. That's silly. I understand some starters rely on 2 primary pitches and only flirt with a third, but there are enough guys that have variations of primary pitches (fastballs and changeups) that a system where we have access to more pitches should be implemented.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Rookie

Fours's Arena

I know pitchers like to talk about the 12 pitches they can throw, but in reality there are very few who will use even 5 pitches in a tight game.

Tanaka threw a handful of changeups last season in 2 starts, and hasn't thrown a single one since. He also uses the curve about 5% of the time. There's a challenge game-wise that you can add all 7 pitches, but be prepared for casual gamers to start complaining that they got rocked using Tanaka as they throw hooks and changeups all game.

Also, by the usage, it looks like he's phasing out the 4 seam in favor of the 2 Seam/Sinker, and the cutter might be a variation of the slider, so he's really not a 7 pitch guy.

Bauer is the only guy I can think of that truly throws a bucketful of junk each start, but it's not effective for him. He's shown 7 pitches this year(down from 8, looks like he dropped the cutter), but 3 total screwballs, and 3 splitters all year, so really 5 pitches. In reality, Bauer is a typical fastball/slider vs RHB, and fastball/change/slider vs LHB with some curves and 2 seamers thrown to both.

You can add more pitches, but using a guys best 3 pitches effectively is everything, the 1% pitches are just novelties.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
Rookie

Mysterious's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle1man
A lot of the game`s best pitchers feature more than 5 pitches. Some guys like Tanaka throw up to 7 regularly. Also guys will throw variations depending on the desired effect (in the dirt, for a strike, show me, etc). A guy like Trevor Bauer is someone who tinkers. Theres enough buttons i`d like to see 7 slots At least.

The link has a photo of tanaka`s grips

http:// http://img.topvelocity.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/professional-pitch-grips.jpg
Great thought and I totally agree. My fav pitchers are guys with 5 pitches... would love to see more (6/7) if realistically in line with the true player
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious
Great thought and I totally agree. My fav pitchers are guys with 5 pitches... would love to see more (6/7) if realistically in line with the true player
That isnt really that realistic.

Tanaka only really throws 4 pitches anyway

4FB 23.2%
Splitter 25.2%
Slider 22.9%
Sinker 20.7%

He throws a Curve 5% of the time....so make that R1

A cutter 3.1%....which is basically a slider anyway

Name another pitcher who you think would need more than 5 pitches.....I doubt there are any real guys who need more than 5
Old 05-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

There is ZERO chance in my opinion that you will ever see more then 5 pitches in the game. Its a terrible idea for 1 reason. The AI doesn't care about tendencies, they throw it all and they throw it at will. As it is right now 5 pitches is ridiculous because everyone in the game apparently throws 5 pitches one of which being the most amazing change up ever seen. SCEA needs to worry about making the 5 pitches already available accurate before we start asking them to give us more of them to complain about.

PSN: I-JayDee-I
Old 05-18-2015, 04:11 AM   #8
Rookie

Fangraphs and the like classify pitches based on movement and speed not grip, someone aluded to the fact earlier that you can have a slider that breaks vertically, horizontally or both. And theyre all sliders but per tracming software it could be recorded as a cutter.

SPs go with whats working inthe bullpen when they warm up. Maybe a fair trade off would be a guy has 6 pitches but only has command over 3 on a given start because unless its Pedro thats generally what happens. This video is a cool example of how limited 5 basic types when compared to how much thought goes into pitching.

https://youtu.be/jhVRNaa3qWM

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »