Home

From a 92 rating to 74 just because he's 34??

This is a discussion on From a 92 rating to 74 just because he's 34?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #57
Rookie

QuestGAV's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: From a 92 rating to 74 just because he's 34??

I agree with you regarding aging curve research cts, guys decline and they decline hard. However, I think the problem is that everyone ages pretty much the same in the game. Anyone over 34 drops precipitously in year 1, seemingly without fail. I understand that adding a proper amount of randomness to the system is difficult, but having everyone age on the same schedule is incorrect also. Father time is undefeated but he doesn't score a 34th round knockout every match.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Instead of playing the game and evaluating players....guys are using OVR as the way to make roster decisions and professing a players worth.
OVR is the WORST thing sports games have ever thought of.

It's meaningless at best, completely inaccurate at worst.

It's also nothing but a subjective amalgamation of ratings that's based on......what exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestGAV
Father time is undefeated but he doesn't score a 34th round knockout every match.
Yeah, sometimes he wins much faster, especially in the sports arena where the standard for ability is high and/or the players ability is fringe/niche and he loses that niche.

Last edited by KBLover; 06-07-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
OVR is the WORST thing sports games have ever thought of.

It's meaningless at best, completely inaccurate at worst.

It's also nothing but a subjective amalgamation of ratings that's based on......what exactly?

Yeah, sometimes he wins much faster, especially in the sports arena where the standard for ability is high and/or the players ability is fringe/niche and he loses that niche.
For me it has nothing to do with overall or any certain players. I only use guys has examples that i notice. I have a problem that it seems every player is set on when they will progress and regress no matter what from the start. Their is nothing random and nothing in the franchise except the potential emails to change it. Playing great or horribly does not change the players ratings over time. I just would like it if I am pitching with bartolo and have a 2.5 era he should not be dropping 10-12 across the board. Likewise if I simulate far into the future and Trout has won mvp three years in a row and leads in every triple crown category plus steals but is regressing heavily at age 30 it makes no sense.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #60
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescottyglasgow
For me it has nothing to do with overall or any certain players. I only use guys has examples that i notice. I have a problem that it seems every player is set on when they will progress and regress no matter what from the start. Their is nothing random and nothing in the franchise except the potential emails to change it. Playing great or horribly does not change the players ratings over time. I just would like it if I am pitching with bartolo and have a 2.5 era he should not be dropping 10-12 across the board. Likewise if I simulate far into the future and Trout has won mvp three years in a row and leads in every triple crown category plus steals but is regressing heavily at age 30 it makes no sense.
Why does the players stats have anything to do with what happens to him physically (in this case his ratings) the next year, especially when hes obviously in his regression years? Bartolo Colon having an era of 2.5 has absolutely no barring on his ability the following year or even what his stats would be. He could be crap or he could be good again. I dont understand the argument.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:16 AM   #61
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
Why does the players stats have anything to do with what happens to him physically (in this case his ratings) the next year, especially when hes obviously in his regression years? Bartolo Colon having an era of 2.5 has absolutely no barring on his ability the following year or even what his stats would be. He could be crap or he could be good again. I dont understand the argument.
I could see if it happened during the offseason but what I am saying is it would be nice if he pitched to a 2.5 era in July lets say so for that month he only dropped 2-3 points or something and then if he pitched above a 4.5 he would drop the 10-15 for being awful. I just have a problem with how well or poorly a player is performing not being reflected in his progression and regression. I would rather it be toned down during the year and if they are going to take a mandatory 10-15 point hit every month for being older it happen during the offseason not while they are pitching in the all star game and winning the mvp.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Dude, buddy is 42 years old and weighs 300 pounds. Sorry that he is regressing physically in your video game. lol

And Trout should regress around age 30. That is how baseball works.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #63
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
I could see if it happened during the offseason but what I am saying is it would be nice if he pitched to a 2.5 era in July lets say so for that month he only dropped 2-3 points or something and then if he pitched above a 4.5 he would drop the 10-15 for being awful. I just have a problem with how well or poorly a player is performing not being reflected in his progression and regression. I would rather it be toned down during the year and if they are going to take a mandatory 10-15 point hit every month for being older it happen during the offseason not while they are pitching in the all star game and winning the mvp.
But what would driving the change from a 2.5 era to a 4.5 era if it's not ratings, the gamers ability? So is the consensus the stats based progression doesn't affect players during regression as the developers have stated was added this year? Also the example given would almost mean that any older player that gets off to a good start in the season gets to carry that forward throughout the year and can't regress? So if the start with a 2.5 era they should end that way? Players in real life all the time have terrible 2nd halfs for one reason or another and regression through the season is a real thing
Old 06-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #64
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
But what would driving the change from a 2.5 era to a 4.5 era if it's not ratings, the gamers ability? So is the consensus the stats based progression doesn't affect players during regression as the developers have stated was added this year? Also the example given would almost mean that any older player that gets off to a good start in the season gets to carry that forward throughout the year and can't regress? So if the start with a 2.5 era they should end that way? Players in real life all the time have terrible 2nd halfs for one reason or another and regression through the season is a real thing
I do not think their performace affects anything at all unless you get the email. Yes I would like it just to be more about user and player performance. I would be fine if they lose 2-3 or even 5 points while pitching great if older I know they will not carry it throughout the year. If they get off to a hot start the first month they shouldnt drop 10-12 points no matter what. I think they should drop 5 or so. If then they pitch a little bit worse the next month they should go down even more 8-10 and if not great at all then take the big 10-15 point hit. I just dont like feeling like they are going to take the hit no matter what I do or how they are performing. So even if pitching lights out and taking four 5 point hits they would lose 20 points throughout the year and that would be fine with me and seem realistic not 40 or 50

Last edited by thescottyglasgow; 06-08-2015 at 12:48 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »