Home

Please get rid of the unhittable pitch

This is a discussion on Please get rid of the unhittable pitch within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Please get rid of the unhittable pitch

I'm actually inclined to agree with the OP and with what nomo17k has said.

To me, it's not so much any high and in fastball that is overpowered - it's only when it's from a pitcher of same handedness. RHP vs right handed batter, LHP vs left handed batter.

I've even had my bat break on a high and in pitch when I had the timing marker say "Good" afterwards. I'm not kidding. Now THAT is frustrating. Now there's something I'm tired of seeing - broken and shattered bats.

If it is a LHP vs a right handed batter or a RHP vs a left handed batter, the high and in pitch is MUCH more manageable for whatever reason.

nomo gave the best advice in the thread. He's absolutely correct in everything he said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #26
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcClaneTW
I'm actually inclined to agree with the OP and with what nomo17k has said.

To me, it's not so much any high and in fastball that is overpowered - it's only when it's from a pitcher of same handedness. RHP vs right handed batter, LHP vs left handed batter.

I've even had my bat break on a high and in pitch when I had the timing marker say "Good" afterwards. I'm not kidding. Now THAT is frustrating. Now there's something I'm tired of seeing - broken and shattered bats.

If it is a LHP vs a right handed batter or a RHP vs a left handed batter, the high and in pitch is MUCH more manageable for whatever reason.

nomo gave the best advice in the thread. He's absolutely correct in everything he said.
"..for whatever reason"

Obviously an inside pitch from an opposite handed pitcher is easier to hit. It's just common sense. The ball has to travel farther to get to the spot than a same handed pitcher. You also get to see the ball a fraction longer. This is no different than actual baseball. It's a hard pitch to locate, but if you do it's very effective, but if you're off just a bit, it's meatball or HBP. It's a perfect risk/reward decision. I think in general, people get frustrated when they get out pitched and immediately assume it's unfair or "cheese" when in reality they just got out thought at the plate.

And another thing...you don't HAVE to swing at the pitch. I often don't swing at the pitches that are very difficult to make good contact on, and live to fight another day (pitch). If there are less than 2 strikes, I'm happy to tip my cap to the pitcher and say "nice pitch, but I'm not gonna break my bat tring to hit it" . If there's 2 strikes, try to foul it off, or sit on it and mash it down the left field line.

Last edited by bfindeisen; 06-02-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #27
Rookie

Well it is kind of cheesy that bats break so often in this game. But that's a flaw in the game, not the players.

I'm actually thinking about doing a pitch speed study with my capture card. Sometimes pitches just seem... off. I can't quite put my finger on it. Like for instance, to me, a 2 seam FB feels slower (significantly) than a 4 seam FB pitched to the exact same spot at the exact same velocity as told to us by the in-game pitch speed display.

I'm just curious about it is all. Maybe I'll hook up the ol' capture card I used to use with PS3. Gonna have to go down to 720p to do it, though.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #28
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
Well it is kind of cheesy that bats break so often in this game. But that's a flaw in the game, not the players.

I'm actually thinking about doing a pitch speed study with my capture card. Sometimes pitches just seem... off. I can't quite put my finger on it. Like for instance, to me, a 2 seam FB feels slower (significantly) than a 4 seam FB pitched to the exact same spot at the exact same velocity as told to us by the in-game pitch speed display.

I'm just curious about it is all. Maybe I'll hook up the ol' capture card I used to use with PS3. Gonna have to go down to 720p to do it, though.
Not calling a you a liar by any means, but I have yet to see this extreme broken bat problem. If you time it perfectly, but don't zone up the PCI right, you're going to break your bat. You have to get your hands through, (i.e. get the PCI high and tight). I have never broken a bat when the PCI was aligned correctly (and timing was adequate). Sounds like you're getting caught center swinging a lot...
Old 06-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Timing is just one component of a swing.

That means the bat met the ball at a good spot in the hitting zone.

What PART of the bat got hit depends on the swing plane as well. If I swing away but the pitch is in, even if my timing is good (say I reacted well) but didn't adjust my swing plane, I'm going to hit below the label and that's asking for a broken bat.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #30
Rookie

There have been several threads about broken bats since release:

http://forums.theshownation.com/foru...13-broken-bats

http://forums.theshownation.com/foru...ike-2-per-game

http://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/c..._absurd_rates/

To be fair, some of these guys are probably center swingers, but I still think that bats should break far less than they currently do. Bats break in MLB pretty often, but you don't see as many shattered bats in real life. You might see a guy crack it during an AB and foul it off more often, though.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #31
Rookie

You can argue with these guys all you want and question their skill, but there's no denying there seems to be some precedent here with broken bats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #32
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Because people in this game don't adjust. They want it easy and would rather call cheese or glitch instead of accepting their just getting beat. I don't break my bat too much. What can I tell you? I'm not going to argue with you, just disagree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »