Home

Please get rid of the unhittable pitch

This is a discussion on Please get rid of the unhittable pitch within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 06-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #41
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Please get rid of the unhittable pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcClaneTW
Hall of Fame or Legend as much as possible. Mostly Hall of Fame this year in online franchise. My offline chise is on Legend, though.
OH, well that's exactly why we're seeing things differently. I play on All-Star with a bigger PCI and slighly slower pitching. Much easier to hit those inside pitches. I can't muster the courage to even try HOF based on the games I've been playing where it's hard enough for some teams to not strikeout 15 times...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's funny because this is indeed a great game but I have to say some of the stuff said in that change ups thread is correct as well. Change up are not unhittable at all, but SCEA has declined to get the correct change up speed on some pitchers.

One example would be Tyler Matzek if I remember. I seem to recall him throwing like 95 in game with a 78 MPH change. If SCEA would just go to fangraphs for each pitcher and check out their average velocity, they'd see that in reality, his average change speed is 87. I might be wrong about this since I'm at work right now, but I can check in game later when I'm home.

I wish they'd dedicate an employee to doing that. Just get the pitches and pitch speeds right. The information is right there for them on fangraphs, for free, but they don't seem to utilize it. Kind of like when Tanaka had that change before they patched it away. Things are much more accurate now with him.

Last edited by JohnMcClaneTW; 06-02-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #43
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
It's funny because this is indeed a great game but I have to say some of the stuff said in that change ups thread is correct as well. Change up are not unhittable at all, but SCEA has declined to get the correct change up speed on some pitchers.

One example would be Tyler Matzek if I remember. I seem to recall him throwing like 95 in game with a 78 MPH change. If SCEA would just go to fangraphs for each pitcher and check out their average velocity, they'd see that in reality, his average change speed is 87.

I wish they'd dedicate an employee to doing that. Just get the pitches and pitch speeds right. The information is right there for them on fangraphs, for free, but they don't seem to utilize it.
Totally agree about the changeups. I think there is just too wide a gap on many pitchers' Fastball-Changeup. It makes it even harder than what Pros have to deal with.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #44
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:

I wish they'd dedicate an employee to doing that. Just get the pitches and pitch speeds right. The information is right there for them on fangraphs, for free, but they don't seem to utilize it.
Oh I know! It frustrates me to no end there isn't someone who's job it is to keep the pitches and equipment accurate for every player throughout the season. It wouldn't even be that hard if you were actually getting paid to do it.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #45
Rookie

I'm derailing the thread with those comments but the point is that nomo gave the best advice. You really do have to sit on same handed high inside fastballs. There's simply not enough time to react to that unless you are superhuman or maybe under the age of 30, which I am not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
Oh I know! It frustrates me to no end there isn't someone who's job it is to keep the pitches and equipment accurate for every player throughout the season. It wouldn't even be that hard if you were actually getting paid to do it.
Yep. Really all they'd have to do was go on fangraphs PitchFX all day and find the right values.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #47
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
I'm derailing the thread with those comments but the point is that nomo gave the best advice. You really do have to sit on same handed high inside fastballs. There's simply not enough time to react to that unless you are superhuman or maybe under the age of 30, which I am not.
Oh I'll def agree with that. I tend to only make good contact on them when I'm sitting fastball or notice a pitcher's pattern and wait on it.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #48
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

Just wanted to share a video of 2 innings I had last night. I admit, I probably would have fared better if I was more patient but the intent was to show what happens when someone keeps swinging at these high and tight pitches. Also, keep in mind I was just playing casual so I was more careless than I probably should have been.

If you are willing to study the video I'm looking for tips on how to be better with these pitches. Is it simply an issue where I'm just too late on these pitches? Notice how I place the PCI in the upper inside corner but after the pitch I'm always under the ball. I don't think I'm moving the PCI during the pitch but maybe I am but not aware of it.

If you pay close attention, I also flashed a preview of the pitch location before and after each pitch. This will sort of give you an idea how much my opponent abused this type of pitching in this game.

Also, I did swing and miss on some pitches. Just ignore those as they don't really apply to the topic anyways.

Finally, I'm not interested in reading how you are able to crush these types of pitches. I'm just looking for tips if anyone has some.

Lineup:
Victor Martinez
Created Player
Will Clark
Joc Pederson
Edwin Encarnacion
Carlos Santana

Last edited by baseballsim; 06-08-2015 at 02:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »