Home

Fluctuation in Hitting Skills

This is a discussion on Fluctuation in Hitting Skills within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44
Question Fluctuation in Hitting Skills

Does anybody else experience their ability to hit just come and go from time to time?
For this year it has just been an extreme up and down on how I'm being able to hit the ball. I'm playing on AS, analog + zone. It's like I'm losing my regular approach, I'm committing to pitches too early, lose the feeling for the right timing, become unable to recognize certain pitches out of the zone, become unable to place the pci, e.g. recently I got into the bad habit to just aim down always, paying less attention to where the pitches are actually going and the more I settled into that habit the worse my results got. Often one things follows the other.
Then I need to invest literally hours into practice mode (if I'd keep playing my franchise Idk when I'd be able to win games again, recently I lost 7 straight) to regain my lost skills. It's frustrating but usually it works well and after a while I start tearing the cover off the ball again, few times I thought I finally figured it out for good but no, the slumps are just inevitable.
Anybody else experiencing this?

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Fluctuation in Hitting Skills

I probably wouldn't play as much if I was a steady .300 plus hitter.
I might be at my happiest when I'm flirting with the Mendoza Line.
Thankfully my pitching skills are less likely to wildly fluctuate.
#44Syracuse
Old 05-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Rookie

NCAAFootballFreak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
Does anybody else experience their ability to hit just come and go from time to time?
For this year it has just been an extreme up and down on how I'm being able to hit the ball. I'm playing on AS, analog + zone. It's like I'm losing my regular approach, I'm committing to pitches too early, lose the feeling for the right timing, become unable to recognize certain pitches out of the zone, become unable to place the pci, e.g. recently I got into the bad habit to just aim down always, paying less attention to where the pitches are actually going and the more I settled into that habit the worse my results got. Often one things follows the other.
Then I need to invest literally hours into practice mode (if I'd keep playing my franchise Idk when I'd be able to win games again, recently I lost 7 straight) to regain my lost skills. It's frustrating but usually it works well and after a while I start tearing the cover off the ball again, few times I thought I finally figured it out for good but no, the slumps are just inevitable.
Anybody else experiencing this?
I suffer from this fluctuation and honestly, it's a major reason I love this series. Take my Rangers franchise I'm playing on '14 right now:

We started off slow. It seemed like my timing and my skills just weren't there when the season started. But, the game started to come to me and I got a little better at waiting for the right pitch and suddenly reeled off a nine game winning streak. We went from 3rd in the AL West to the top of the AL. Since then, things have leveled back out and 48 games into the season, we've got a tight race going with Oakland. In fact, as of right now both teams are tied and I see this playing out that way for the remainder of the season.

It's EXACTLY how a real season plays out. Every team's going to go through their ups and downs and with the exception of the 2001 Seattle Mariners, every team will win 54 games, lose 54 games and the "season" is determined by those other 54 games.

Man, I love The Show. And as I play more games, the more that addiction grows.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I probably wouldn't play as much if I was a steady .300 plus hitter.
I might be at my happiest when I'm flirting with the Mendoza Line.
Thankfully my pitching skills are less likely to wildly fluctuate.
So true, the more I struggle the more I'm playing this game, on the other hand I tend to get bored when doing well. It's always like that no matter which game I'm playing actually.

Anyways I have been struggling with timing big time but after some hours in practice mode I got back on track. Unfortunately my success only lasted a few games, damn I have been so good at laying off bad pitches, but now I'm jist chasing everything. The plate discipline drill in practice mode has been a piece of cake for me, now I'm ending up getting minus points. Just amazing how my performance is changing. Pitching is usually unaffected also I don't experience this with any other sportsgames although I'm pretty much playing at the limit with challenging settings all the time.

Only way to get out of those slumps is practice mode for me.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Old 06-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Banned

Steven78's Arena

Oh I know this all too well. Great replication of what real hitters must go thru. It can be mentally draining but success is also equally as exhilarating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

Yes, but it's normal.

Any sport you play, real life or virtual, you go through this. Such is life.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
Rookie

First, my hitting in general fluctuates as well. Second, I noticed that my hitting greatly varies based upon the batter. This should be expected to some extend, but in my case I think it is extreme. Here are some examples from my Astros franchise.

Evan Gattis: 4 for 48
George Springer: 1 for 44
Colby Rasmus: 15 for 38
Marwin Gonzalez: 12 for 30

I have two theories, but don't know that either of them explain too much. First I thought about each players batting stance and how that affects my swing timing. The problem with this is that all 4 of these guys have somewhat similar stances, mainly that non of them swing the bat around too much. My second thought was each player's vision & disciple attributes, but I am not really sure this would have much affect since I am playing all of the at bats. Has anyone else had a similar situation? I am just baffled at this point. I know Gattis & Springer are K or HR guys, but between the two of them they are getting very close to going 5 for 100 and then on the opposite side, I have two probably average hitters hitting .400.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Banned

Powerplay17's Arena

Well, I've lost 6 straight in spring training (Rays season mode) after starting 8-2. My hitting was fantastic. I was seeing everything and started to hit some homers. My pitching was solid.

And then, it all fell apart. I think I got homer happy and have become way too aggressive with a ton of first pitch swinging. I'm baffled by the change and I'll swing at a slider that almost leaves my tv screen.

Top this all off with suspect defense and the CPU's patience and ability to foul off some tough pitches and voila I'm in a death spiral. However, I refuse to adjust a slider....Gotta get thru this although my controller might not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »