Home

Difficulty settings

This is a discussion on Difficulty settings within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

OVR: 0
Difficulty settings

I have been experimenting lately with different settings and I am now wondering if the pitching/hitting settings are really independent of each other. I've tried from both on rookie up to one on rookie and one on legend and it's difficult to see any difference between the two.

For example: when my hitting was on legend and my pitching on rookie, it felt like the pitching was on legend because I was getting murdered on defense.

Can someone tell me exactly what the difficulty settings change? Do they only change the batters eye? Does it make it harder to steal/tag up? Does it change the way your whole defense plays behind your pitcher, or does it only change the accuracy window of your pitches?

Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Difficulty settings

My understanding is that difficulty level acts like a base that sliders then modify.

So HoF puts a larger +base for the CPU and -base for the User, so to speak.

Hitting difficulty would impact timing window, check swing chances (discipline), contact chance (vision) and base PCI size (which helps impact solid contact). I don't think it messes with power (as that's impacted by the type of contact, which is impacted by timing and PCI location), I think it's just that higher difficulties make it more difficult to get all the ingredients to come together for solid contact.

For pitching, it seems to impact at least as much the CPU's chances at the plate as it does your actual pitching ability. I think the CPU does better against you, even if you execute well, and misexecution becomes mercilessly punished. It probably impacts your execution success with Meter, Analog, and Pulse mechanics (I use Classic, so not sure what, if anything, it does to my pitchers there other than chances of good/fail command).

I don't THINK it impacts defense ratings - just that harder hit balls are harder to defend and better timing tends to mean better hit placement (further making it harder to defend).

For baserunning, I could see it impacting steal timing and/or pickoff reaction window.

That said, not sure why your defense would have a hard time on rookie pitching, unless there's something up with the difficulty levels.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

That said, not sure why your defense would have a hard time on rookie pitching, unless there's something up with the difficulty levels.
I probably could have worded that different. My pitcher was getting hammered, but it was bloop singles and soft drives to the gap. The pitching staff gave up 12 hits by the 5th inning and I was hitting my marks and locations (meter pitching).
Old 06-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
Just started!

The pitching staff gave up 12 hits by the 5th inning and I was hitting my marks and locations

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »