Home

Veteran level no shananagians

This is a discussion on Veteran level no shananagians within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Veteran level no shananagians

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgames
MLB Bob...don't be that guy.
Lol... Boy it's getting bad in here...
Old 06-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 20

I never noticed the comeback AI on Veteran, but I am confident that it's there in some form on higher difficulty. This opinion is from my fairly large sample size.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgames
MLB Bob...don't be that guy.
With all due respect, you wouldn't even be dealing with that issue if you'd phrased your OP as a simple "What kind of results are you guys getting on Veteran?" It just had to be tied to that topic. You can't mention it in your OP and not expect someone to call you on it.

On topic....I just don't find Veteran as enough of a challenge personally, much the same way some HOF guys can't enjoy All-Star. I know that well enough from how I blow through Vet level with power swings on CotW. By comparison, HoF on the challenges is where I really have to take it seriously, using my normal swing. On Legend I just swing contact and pray.

In addition I feel like the CPU pounds the strike zone too much on Vet and below, although that can be remedied a bit with the (early count) strike frequency slider - at least it gives more of an opportunity for the CPU to walk you.

Each to their own though - that's why we have 5 difficulty levels (10 if you include the Dynamic Difficulty +'s ). It all comes down to user skill and the interface the user chooses. I can play HoF hitting because my skill with Zone batting is enough to counter the hitting penalties I take from playing on that level. I wouldn't try to play Directional (timing), or analog on HoF because more is left up to the AI in making solid contact. If you DO play primarily Directional or analog though, Vet or All-Star might be a better fit. It's the same for pitching too - personally I'm not good enough to go above AS+ with meter pitching because the AI will just pummel me for huge innings. On Classic I wouldn't even try to go above All-Star.

JMO, as always.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2015, 02:01 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 0

I don't think there's comeback AI (the developer has stated there is not one line of comeback code), but I understand why people believe it. When you are doing well (getting green contact, hitting the pitching meter right on) and are still getting your *** handed to you, it's hard to not believe.

I'm getting routed by a team in the NLDS in my postseason. Kind of sucks to play all 162 games and lose it in the NLDS even when you think you are playing well (getting good counts, getting green contact). My hits just keep finding gloves and the other team is getting no doubt homers. In postseason play, all those quirks really amplify, like that animation where the guy seems like he's pulling his glove away from the ball. I even lowered the difficulty a notch and they are still killing me.

One game was so bad because I was finally leading, but my pitchers were too tired to go on, and I had a bad inning. The other team kept fouling off pitches and my bullpen could not handle it.

Can't do anything about it except make some good moves in the off season and remember that it's just a stupid game.

Last edited by Spokker; 06-09-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 AM   #13
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Offensively speaking I have no problem with anything on any level. I play on HOF for hitting and have had no issue.

Pitching however, anything above all star is just not fun. I get destroyed generally on HOF sometimes it seems like it's my fault other times it seems I'm getting jobbed. It's just not worth the effort. I manage to lose enough games on all star to make it challenging and almost always I feel like I could have did something different to change the outcome.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #14
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
With all due respect, you wouldn't even be dealing with that issue if you'd phrased your OP as a simple "What kind of results are you guys getting on Veteran?" It just had to be tied to that topic. You can't mention it in your OP and not expect someone to call you on it.

On topic....I just don't find Veteran as enough of a challenge personally, much the same way some HOF guys can't enjoy All-Star. I know that well enough from how I blow through Vet level with power swings on CotW. By comparison, HoF on the challenges is where I really have to take it seriously, using my normal swing. On Legend I just swing contact and pray.

In addition I feel like the CPU pounds the strike zone too much on Vet and below, although that can be remedied a bit with the (early count) strike frequency slider - at least it gives more of an opportunity for the CPU to walk you.

Each to their own though - that's why we have 5 difficulty levels (10 if you include the Dynamic Difficulty +'s ). It all comes down to user skill and the interface the user chooses. I can play HoF hitting because my skill with Zone batting is enough to counter the hitting penalties I take from playing on that level. I wouldn't try to play Directional (timing), or analog on HoF because more is left up to the AI in making solid contact. If you DO play primarily Directional or analog though, Vet or All-Star might be a better fit. It's the same for pitching too - personally I'm not good enough to go above AS+ with meter pitching because the AI will just pummel me for huge innings. On Classic I wouldn't even try to go above All-Star.

JMO, as always.
With the right set of sliders Veteran can actually be difficult.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
With the right set of sliders Veteran can actually be difficult.
Sliders and interfaces are the key, I think.

Veteran (with some slider tweaks) works for me using Timing hitting and Classic pitching. If I used Zone and Meter, I'd have to go up to All-Star.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6

I use classic pitching and timing hitting on All-Star and don't see any issues...I use armor and swords slider set as well.

I find it to be a good representation of ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »