Home

I scored 3 runs with 2 outs in the 9th to win 8-7! The Comeback Thread

This is a discussion on I scored 3 runs with 2 outs in the 9th to win 8-7! The Comeback Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
I scored 3 runs with 2 outs in the 9th to win 8-7! The Comeback Thread

Ok, I did a thread about heartbreak losses, so I thought I would do one for your greatest comebacks.

Myself, let me paint the picture. We have lost 7 of our last 9 games with 2 weeks left in the season. We have 9 games to go on the schedule and for the first time this year, we feel out of a playoff spot as we trail the Pirates by 1 game for the 2nd wildcard spot. We needed this win badly.

We had Wainwright on the mound in virtually a must win game against the Central leading Brewers. Wainwright is 11-11 on the year but his ERA 3.06, shows that he's been on the bad end of some very bad losses. This game, Waino wasn't himself. We trailed 6-0 going to the bottom of the 6th when got our first run thanks to a RBI single by Matt Carpenter. It was 6-1 heading to the 8th, when the Brewers tacked on one more to make it 7-1 with 6 outs left for us. And that is when things turned around.

We scored 4 runs in the 8th to make it 7-5. Maness came out and struck out the side in the 9th to make it 7-5 going to the bottom of the 9th. First batter, Jon Jay strikes out. Second hitter, Xavier Scruggs lines out to short. So 7-5, 2 outs and Carpenter singles up the middle. Next up is Heyward who laces a single to center to make it two on with 2 out. Next up Tommy Pham takes a 2-2 curve and flips it to right to load the bases. Next up is Matt Adams, who has been struggling (5 of his last 27) and the first pitch he sees is a low fastball that he puts in the right center gap, clearing the bases and leading us to a 8-7 victory and keeping us in the playoff race!

So, what is your greatest comeback?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: I scored 3 runs with 2 outs in the 9th to win 8-7! The Comeback Thread

Just had a fun one this afternoon.

Playing my Nationals Franchise I am at home against Miami. Jose Fernandez is starting against Strasburg. I have struggled with Strasburg of late and today was no different. Gave up 3 runs thru 30 pitches in the first inning.

I had a feeling this one was going to get ugly so I was resting a few starters thinking I would let this one go and get some rest in. Strasburg got it together and held Miami scoreless until I took him out in the 5th. Brought in Roark who was sharp as can be and shut them down the rest of the game.

In the 8th things just started to click. I brought in Revere ( who I traded for ) and he hits a dribbler between 3rd and Short and ran it out. Then he promptly stole second. Lobaton came up and worked a 10 pitch walk. Miami replaced Fernandez with, I can't remember. Espinosa is up and on the second pitch goes yard on a hanging slider and its tied 3-3.

Bring in Stroren to close and he shuts them down in the top of the 9th. Span singles and Desmond sacrifices him to second. The my boy Ryan Zimmerman pinch hits, works the count full and the drives one right down the 3rd base line, all the way to the outfield. Span get the wheels spinning and slides in a few inches in front of the ball for the 4-3 walk off.

That puts me a solid 12 games up going into the last month. Time to rest up and get ready.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 06-08-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Playing Chicago down 3-2 bottom of the 9. Braun singles and then Adam lind drives him home with a double to tie the game. Top 15th i give up 2 hits a 2 walks to give Chicago a 4-3 lead. Bottom 15th Lucroy doubles with 1 out. Gennett pops out and then Braun hits a no doubt walk off HR.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Right after the all star break I played the Cardinals with the Braves and they took the first two games. They had a 2-0 lead in the top of the 9th and Shelby Miller (for St. Lou, I still have Heyward) was cruising with a one hitter. I finally get things going a bit in the last frame and Heyward hits a 2 run homer to tie.
I couldn't score again in the 9th but I held the Cards in the bottom half to earn some free baseball. I scored once in the 10th but my pen let me down by giving up a run. Then I had a runner on third and none out in the top of 12, THEN.... my power went out. I was totally bummed, but when I finally got around to replay game 3, I had enough confidence after those last 4 innings to avoid a sweep & blast St. Lou in the makeup game. Wound up running Miller out by the 3rd or 4th inning & won something like 8-1. Good times indeed lol
#44Syracuse
Old 06-10-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Got a nice video of my latest one - a 5 run 7th to pull ahead of the Rockies 7-6.

Cliff notes:

Spoiler

Prior to that outburst I only had 3 hits in the whole game.

Game's not over - there may still be more to be written about this one, although I'd hate for it to land in the heartbreaking loss thread!

Edit: Tacked on one more for an 8-6 win!

Last edited by bcruise; 06-10-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
Rookie

Efbomb's Arena

Season Mode: Mets

Playing the Nats.

After scoring 2 off Scherzer in the bottom of the 1st, things looked good. Harvey was dealing, striking out the side in the top half, with just filthy breaking pitches.

Then it all fell apart. I was in quicksand. The harder I tried, the worse it got. You know how that is.

Anyway, it was 6-2 at the end of the 5th. Then my luck changed and I started getting some bloopers, dying quails and seeing eye singles to chip away.

Got it to 6-5 by the top of the ninth, but Harper crushed a down and away change up for a 2 run dinger to go up 8-5. Sadness and frustration settle in. Closer comes in and all hopes of winning fade to black.

I resort to using contact swings only cause I need base runners, not homers. 3 consecutive singles load the bases. I smoked a double to right center with Granderson. Holy Smokes! It's 8-8. Then I started chasing and made stupid swings at bad pitches cause I felt mighty. Inning over.

Bottom of the 11th rolls along, they bring in a lefty and I bring out my secret weapon. John Mayberry Jr. Great power against south paws. But I'm rushing and swing at 2 garbage pitches to go 0-2. I resort to a contact swing. After taking a ball, I hit one out, with much help of the wind, just barely scraping the wall on a contact swing. 9-8. Game Over.

Moral:
Never give up hope and never quit the game. You just might miss some magic.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

MVP baseball with the Brewers against the Astros. Trailed by 4 runs going into the bottom of the 9th and my first two batters were retired. 3 straight guys got on base and Richie Sexson hit a Grand Slam to tie it. Next guy up....."El Caballo" (Carlos Lee), sent one off the batters eye in dead center. Ive had some good ones in this years' game with a few Aram HR's in the 9th, but i dont think ill ever top what happened 10 years ago. Kind of depressing actually haha
Old 06-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
Rookie

rushinplayallgame's Arena

I have a 4-1 lead in the 2nd game of the ALCS, playing at home, ventura gives up 2 doubles cutting my lead to 4-2, so I bring in greg holland and on his first pitch, accidently drills the hitter which brings up prince fielder as the go-ahead run, I already have 2 outs, go ahead 0-2 on him before I leave a fastball on the middle of the plate which he hits like 500 ft. I really need this game to tie the series, i'm sad.

so it's my last turn, moose strikes out, I chop one up the infield with lorenso cain and the 1st basemen drops the ball, ok I have a chance. kendry morales hits a super slow chopper up the infield and they can only get cain at 2nd, 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th when salvy crushed the first pitch into the bullpen, walkoff magic at the K, the error won me that game, it should have been over. I'm happy again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »