Home

Player Regression-how is everyone handeling it

This is a discussion on Player Regression-how is everyone handeling it within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Player Regression-how is everyone handeling it

Does anyone have a system that they are useing to hadel regression with older players. Like for example if a player is 34 and goes from a 86 to a 78 do you go back and only make them regress 40% of that or use some other system so that older players are still usefull.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Player Regression-how is everyone handeling it

I play players by stats, not ovr lol. If they are hitting and producing, I keep playing them. I may take them out of the lineup more often for rest reasons, but other then that, they produce, they play.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawkprime 21
Does anyone have a system that they are using to handle regression with older players. Like for example if a player is 34 and goes from a 86 to a 78 do you go back and only make them regress 40% of that or use some other system so that older players are still useful.
Mostly panic and anger.

Im with the other poster, go by results like real life. Theres no overall rating in real baseball (WAR is not an overall rating, its good for comparison but its still accumulative)

So if a player goes down by say 4-5 points..does he stop producing all together? Probably not. You may not even see a drop in stats. If you are concerned, theres several threads on the topic and enough people that have concern you could probably start a re-rating club. Theres one for trades, might as well have one asking what each player should get re-rated to after a season according to their stats
Old 06-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Handle it...?

No cryin'.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawkprime 21
Does anyone have a system that they are useing to hadel regression with older players. Like for example if a player is 34 and goes from a 86 to a 78 do you go back and only make them regress 40% of that or use some other system so that older players are still usefull.

I go by production (regardless of age/rating changes, really). About the only time I'll make a switch is if their individual abilities have dropped (or just are) too low to warrant not giving someone else a shot. Or, in reverse, someone has shot up to have drastically more ability (not OVR, but important individual abilities) and has produced at the AAA level for a decent amount of time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

In the offseason I signed 87 OVR Adrien Beltre to a 1 year/11.5 million contract. It's june 1 and he's down to 81 OVR and his BA has dropped 20 points in the last month. Not happy
Old 06-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
Pro

Ivanhoe's Arena

OVR: 4

Most players production decreases in their mid to late 30's. And in the case of Pitchers who date supermodels, their early 30's!

There will be the rare freak of nature who's production doesn't drop until they are approaching 40. There are still others who get better in their late 30's and early 40's...but they have a little help.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I'm cool with letting production dictate playing time for guys on my roster initially, but I won't sign anyone who is over 30 to a multi-year deal. And for guys just shy of 30, I'm very wary of locking them up past 32.

I will say that I like how performance can stave off severe decline for some players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »