Home

Old 06-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Banned

Sloppydog14's Arena

OVR: 0
Rtts pitcher suggestions?

I was think of building a pitcher that pitched to contact and get a lot of ground balls any ideas?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Rtts pitcher suggestions?

Hmm...

2SFB (or Sinker) with a change up (Palmball seems to have a lot of downward break) of some kind and maybe a forkball/splitter? Or maybe Sweeping Curve and throw it to same-handed batters to try to get them to pull off and roll over?

Focus on H/9 heavily (to induce more weaker contact), with enough BB/9, Control to locate more often than not. Movement to help that downward break on those pitches. Some K/9 (helps with the contact window and pick up a few K's here and there) and if you sim, HR/9 of course (otherwise, don't worry about it).

Keep a velocity difference, but not too large. Maybe about 10 MPH on your change and a bit more on the curve if you go that route. If you go with the split/forkball - maybe around 5-7 MPH (make the change up your slowest pitch while your split/forkball looks like your sinking fastball but slower so they are out front and on the end of the bat).
Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Playing vs the CPU, I don't think there's any way to get an authentic experience pitching to contact with the hope of being a groundball pitcher.

The movement of pitches doesn't have the effect it does vs human players, you'll have hitters wrapping around a slider, swinging under a sinker(without a tendency to pop up your 4 seamer) etc..

And one thing is for sure, if you pound low zone/below zone, the CPU zeros in and will start lifting low pitches with ease. As ridiculous as it sounds, you have to throw some sinkers/changeups high to avoid some kind of anti location spamming mechanism. Elevating your 4 Seam does help a bit, but nothing close to simulating a GB pitcher.

If you want to do it anyways(I tried a Rockies franchise modeled on GB pitchers and great infield defense), I suggest:

P1: Sinker or 2 Seam

P2: Changeup, pair opposite movements, Sinker with Circle Change, 2 Seam with Straight Change or Splitter.

* I know a lot of people pair up breaks, but the same break is less deceptive than changing both the speed and break. The hitter has already committed to the swing by the time the pitch is breaking anyway, anything to get farther from the barrel is a good thing.

P3: 4 Seam, Use it up in the zone, change levels, throw for low strikes if the hitter is laying off low balls. (Won't work vs CPU, but you can tell yourself it does.. It's a great putaway pitch when the CPU is fouling 12 0-2 pitches in a row)

P4: Slider/Cutter/Curve, Pick one, a curve is generally a pitch guys get under unless you snap it off and make them miss, or bury it in the dirt. Sinker ball pitchers usually have good splits vs opposite handed batters, so this pitch is just to be filthy vs same handed with something that breaks away from the bat. I would go for a Cutter, easier to throw strikes and get weak contact, keep the pitch count down.

No need for a 5th pitch, but if you want one, pick something for when you need a strike out, Slider's a great option.

Focus on H/9, and good 'ol overpowered pitcher fielding attributes.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
Banned

Sloppydog14's Arena

All good ideas thanks guys really wanna make it work and be the anti flashy work horse
Old 06-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #5
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

great ideas .... i have 2B hitter and in the 4th season now. I accumulated points, so instead of buying stuffs, I was planning to make a SP. What could you suggest, should i apply these points to a new created SP while in AA, AAA or wait until i reach MLB?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »