Home

Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
Rookie

Caucasianator's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I need to justify this...

What is your current setup like? Pablo at 3rd and Napoli at 1st? I'd keep it honestly, Z-Man's arm is getting weaker (and age is getting to him a bit) and I don't see us realistically getting rid of Rendon unless it's something crazy. Guess it's just a question of how realistic you want the trade to seem.
and currently stuck in Michigan, QQ.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
Yep if you play someone in their secondary positing their fielding attributes drop by 20 percent.

If you play someone completely out of position, their attributes drop by 40 percent.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Well, maybe. On the stream from a couple of days ago, there was some confusion about just how much of a penalty each position creates. Apparently, playing an outfielder in a skill position gives a greater penalty than first base, which it should. There was talk about how it can be as little as 5 percent or as great as 70. Millennium was there and was just as surprised as I was.

It seemed like the developers didn't really know, either. There is some kind of penalty and it could be the 20/40, but that could also be wrong.

The discussion starts at 30:24. http://www.twitch.tv/sonysandiegostudio/b/667599221

Last edited by sydrogerdavid; 06-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucasianator
What is your current setup like? Pablo at 3rd and Napoli at 1st? I'd keep it honestly, Z-Man's arm is getting weaker (and age is getting to him a bit) and I don't see us realistically getting rid of Rendon unless it's something crazy. Guess it's just a question of how realistic you want the trade to seem.
I'm in my second season, Ortiz retired and Napoli left via FA... This is my team...
C Blake Swihart
1B Steve Pearce
2B Dustin Pedroia
SS Xander Bogaerts
3B Pablo Sandoval
LF De Aza/Brandon Barnes
CF Mookie Betts
RF Charlie Blackmon
DH Hanley Ramirez
(Holt's on my bench and Castillo's in AAA)

Some players have played their way into the lineup, others I acquired to try out and play with (like Pearce and Blackmon).
There's no internal 1st base replacement and Napoli declined pretty heavily, also theres no telling what the Sox might do without Ortiz at DH. Do they get a big left bat? Shift Hanley and get a LF? That's what I'm playing around with now...

BTW, thanks for all the feedback guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Rookie

Fours's Arena

So from watching the stream, they say playing at a secondary position is a 20% hit, but playing completely out of position is a variable hit, They said a 3B playing 1B is only a 5% hit..

So, if you have a 3B you want to play occasionally at 1B, he'll be a better fielder if 1B is NOT his secondary position..
Old 06-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
I am considering changing positions for Pablo Sandoval (from 3B to 1B). Reason being, I have a need at 1B and want to acquire another 3B.(Anthony Rendon)
I just can't justify it though because he hasn't played first base much of his career or recently at all and he's a great 3B.
Has anyone else ran into a similar situation when it comes to changing a player's position?
Or just some advice on how to go about it, thanks...

Just looking for some helpful feedback as I try to keep my franchise somewhat realistic
(I know, I know, Rendon's not realistic, maybe R. Zimmerman would be a better choice)
Since players change positions from time to time, out of team need, I'd say this particular move is a realistic one. I'm sure a lot of people would have said before hand putting Chipper Jones in LF & John Smoltz to the 'pen isn't likely, yet it happened. Now, if you wanted to move Sandoval to catcher or centerfield I'd thumb down that.

Syracuse #44
Old 06-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
Rookie

Fours's Arena

When I force a guy to a position I know he doesn't want to play, I use him there as his secondary position, and if he's a 6+ year free agent, I let him leave to go play his primary position somewhere else, if not, I trade him in the offseason.

I think this is roughly realistic.

With a player like Zimmerman, where eroding skills made the move to 1B make sense completely, I would switch primary position and keep him. But there's a lot of teams that would pay Sandoval to play 3rd, and his value is a lot lower as his bat at 1st doesn't really measure up.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fours
When I force a guy to a position I know he doesn't want to play, I use him there as his secondary position, and if he's a 6+ year free agent, I let him leave to go play his primary position somewhere else, if not, I trade him in the offseason.

I think this is roughly realistic.

With a player like Zimmerman, where eroding skills made the move to 1B make sense completely, I would switch primary position and keep him. But there's a lot of teams that would pay Sandoval to play 3rd, and his value is a lot lower as his bat at 1st doesn't really measure up.
Another very good point...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
I'm in my second season, Ortiz retired and Napoli left via FA... This is my team...
C Blake Swihart
1B Steve Pearce
2B Dustin Pedroia
SS Xander Bogaerts
3B Pablo Sandoval
LF De Aza/Brandon Barnes
CF Mookie Betts
RF Charlie Blackmon
DH Hanley Ramirez
(Holt's on my bench and Castillo's in AAA)

Some players have played their way into the lineup, others I acquired to try out and play with (like Pearce and Blackmon).
There's no internal 1st base replacement and Napoli declined pretty heavily, also theres no telling what the Sox might do without Ortiz at DH. Do they get a big left bat? Shift Hanley and get a LF? That's what I'm playing around with now...

BTW, thanks for all the feedback guys!
Chances are after Ortiz retires Sandoval gets move to DH because of weight issues. But the case can be made for Ramirez as well because he is a dog.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »