Home

Should the AI play the shift against more hitters?

This is a discussion on Should the AI play the shift against more hitters? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
Should the AI play the shift against more hitters?

According to BIS, 2014’s shift total is on pace for a 68 percent increase over 2013’s total, which was itself up 78 percent over the 2012 total, which represented a 94 percent rise relative to 2011.

It would be interesting to keep track of the amount of times the CPU uses the shift then compare that to real life. I wish at least that it was team dependent, or manager dependent. That would be next level sim, lets go SCEA!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Should the AI play the shift against more hitters?

We're in 2015 by the way.

― Plato
Old 06-13-2015, 01:26 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
According to BIS, 2014’s shift total is on pace for a 68 percent increase over 2013’s total, which was itself up 78 percent over the 2012 total, which represented a 94 percent rise relative to 2011.

It would be interesting to keep track of the amount of times the CPU uses the shift then compare that to real life. I wish at least that it was team dependent, or manager dependent. That would be next level sim, lets go SCEA!

What is the trigger for the shift?

Is it tied to certain players? Because Chris Davis, according to his hit chart, seems to be a perfect candidate for it (60% pull), but the AI never does it against him.

Of course, with the ease/frequency guys can go the other way in The Show, I don't know if I want more shifting. In real baseball, pull hitters refuse to/can't as easily go the other way on inside pitches. The Show hitters don't seem to have any qualms or problems doing so.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

It's hard coded for certain players. I would like to see a dynamic shift based on a number of factors.
1. Manager tendencies
2. Historical spray charts
3. Current spray charts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
It's hard coded for certain players. I would like to see a dynamic shift based on a number of factors.
1. Manager tendencies
2. Historical spray charts
3. Current spray charts
I hope they follow a process like what you described for next year's edition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0

This would be nice. I would also like to see more shifts against right handed batters. Im actually not even sure if ive seen an infield shift for right handers.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Do the spray charts actually mean anything? It doesn't seem like the AI actually has the tendencies to hit the ball where the spray charts say they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

In addition to what tbarnes19 mentioned, I would also like to see an option to adjust fielder positions manually (each fielder separately), instead of choosing from several preset positions.

For example, some people feel that (default) outfielder positioning in the game is a bit off, and that leads to a skewed ratio of doubles/triples... or the frequency of groud outs to RF. Being able to adjust the preset positions could help them tune the game to their liking.

Also, not all extreme shifts are similar... for example when an extreme shifts is one, some teams prefer moving the 3B over to the 2B and leave the SS where he normally plays (I remember Jeter was used like this) instead of shifting both 3B and SS.

These days I also often see teams putting 5 fielders playing in when the game is on the line in walk-off situations. It is not possible to do that with the current presets, but it can be done if fielders could be moved manually. (And I feel the current fielding A.I. in general is already smart enough to handle making appropriate decisions, even when a fielder is playing way out of his natural position.)

Drastic fielding shift being employed I think is one of more exciting aspects of modern baseball, and expanding on this area I feel will make the game open up quite a bit.

It may also help alleviate the often criticized aspect of the game, which is fielding being a bit automatic at times.

Overall I think it will make fielding quite a bit more strategic.

Last edited by nomo17k; 06-13-2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: i thought i typed shifts, not ****s

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »