Home

Franchise House Rules

This is a discussion on Franchise House Rules within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Franchise House Rules

Since there is a severe lack of user injuries, every now and then I'll increase the injury slider to max for one game so it influences one of my guys to get hurt.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
I also do not use direction hitting as situational hitting tool. This is a GREAT article with data to back up the fact that MLB players do not have the ability to place the ball where they want to hit it. This guys for hit and runs, sac flys, etc... http://grantland.com/features/mlb-20...ing-the-shift/
That isnt necessarily true.

That is tailored to a situation where a team is shifting the defense.

The pitcher is going to work inside and avoid giving the batter a pitch he can take oppo when he knows his defense is shifted. That is part of the shift and why it is so effective.

When you are trying to hit directionally, you need to look for the correct pitch to hit. An inside fastball is going to be tough to slap the other way. Or a changeup on the outside corner is going to be tough to pull with any authority.

You need to understand game situations and pitch locations hen trying to hit directionally.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadreFan84
How do you decide who and to what severity? I have noticed the lack of injuries in played games as well.
First I note if anyone got a "dangerous" event. Like crashing into the wall, collisions, getting beaned, getting hit hard with a batted ball, etc.

If any of those happen, I'll note the player and where it got him and randomly (using a RNG app or random.org or some dice if you're old school )

Otherwise, I know who I put in and such, so any of those guys are up for being hurt. I do a random roll against my 25-man roster. Whoever it lands on, and if he played that day, he gets an injury.

From there, I roll 3 numbers. That's how many "spaces" I move on the injury list. Where it stops, that's what gets hurt.

I do this every two weeks or so.

At one point, I couldn't do it because "I had too many injuries" (I just...I don't know). So that lucky guy got spared.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
So for example I will only use contact swings with players in my franchise who have a .340 OBP or higher. You can do this two ways, either based on a players real life stats or his The Show franchise mode stats. It adds another wrinkle of realism for me.

The "Post-pitch delivery Directional Hitting" is using the direction hitting while the pitch is coming to the plate and mid-flight pushing the right analog stick towards where the ball is pitched and hitting it. i.e. going with the pitch. I believe this gives you a little boost to contact, I limit it to my high AVG guys because I feel it would be too easy to exploit if you master it. If you want to get really nerdy about it you can break it down further and limit yourself based on the hitters BAA lefty/righty splits, but I know not everyone is as depraved as me.

For the start of the season I load up Fangraphs and look at my teams batting stats from last year to determine who gets what ability. Then after the first month I use the in-game current season stats.

Interesting approach with the swing types. I might have to adopt some variation on that, especially now that more fictionals are arriving to the majors in year 4 of franchise (and more will come of course) and they obviously won't have scouting reports or fangraphs profiles.

For the real life players, I use fangraphs and/or the spray charts. For example, Chris Davis hits a ton of fly balls, and his hit chart (in the game) is showing 60% pull (I don't think I pull it THAT much with him, but whatever...). So that's either up and left aiming, or up and I'm swinging early to trying to pull.

Yelich is the opposite, like 60% grounders. So it's pretty much down, down, down with him.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts50
That isnt necessarily true.

That is tailored to a situation where a team is shifting the defense.

The pitcher is going to work inside and avoid giving the batter a pitch he can take oppo when he knows his defense is shifted. That is part of the shift and why it is so effective.

When you are trying to hit directionally, you need to look for the correct pitch to hit. An inside fastball is going to be tough to slap the other way. Or a changeup on the outside corner is going to be tough to pull with any authority.

You need to understand game situations and pitch locations hen trying to hit directionally.
It's in the same article but it is separate topics, nothing to do with the shift. The statistics back it up. When a man is on 3rd base with 0 outs MLB batters average the same amount of fly balls as if there are 2 outs. That has nothing to do with the shift. Directional hitting is a gimmick if used to place the ball to certain areas of the field. Going with the pitch is the proper way to use it but I am sure many people hold the stick up and try to 'will' a fly ball in a man on 3rd 1-2 outs situation and that is silly.

EDIT: I understand your point that pitchers pitch different in situations. Throwing pitches lower in the zone if a man is on 3rd with less than 2 outs. But I still say you are missing my point, that using directional hitting before the pitch holding a direction and hoping to hit a ball that way is wrong. If a ball is thrown above the belt and you see that it's coming then press the analog stick up that is the right way.

Last edited by BrianU; 06-13-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts50
Except in The Show, hitters can go opposite field whenever.

Happens a lot when my team is shifted. I throw inside, they swing late, push it to where the 3B would be standing for an easy double.

The shift in The Show is more like gambling than trying to use tendencies against the hitter because the hitter doesn't hit to his spray charts and/or the spray charts don't abstract a hitter's mechanics/approach.

Hitters don't seem to have a speed they are looking to hit. Otherwise, I'd like to know what they were looking for when they were "late" on an inside curve coming in at 73 MPH when that's the slowest pitch the pitcher has...

So I can go the other way with Chris Davis just as much as a slap hitter like Solano. If big sluggers could do that in real life, the shift would be dead.

Last edited by KBLover; 06-13-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #15
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

I never make more then a few trades during the year - deal with what you have even if it sucks.

I also have a temperature variable with sliders backed up with MLB temp stats. Warm = bigger numbers hitting.

Temp
<40

CPU Solid Hits - 6
CPU Power - 4

40 to 49
CPU Solid Hits - 6
CPU Power - 5

50-59
CPU Solid Hits - 7
CPU Power - 5

60-69
CPU Solid Hits - 7
CPU Power - 6

70-79
CPU Solid Hits - 8
CPU Power - 6

80-89
CPU Solid Hits - 8
CPU Power - 7

>89
CPU Solid Hits - 9
CPU Power - 7

Last edited by Grinder12000; 04-27-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #16
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

I only have two rules:

1) There's no crying in baseball.

AND

2) I never bet on any games in which I'm in control of the DS4.
#44Syracuse

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »