Home

Ball Physics or Wind?

This is a discussion on Ball Physics or Wind? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
MVP

Lisac's Arena

OVR: 0
Unhappy Ball Physics or Wind?

So playing a game at Wrigley and wind is blowing out to left at 17mph. I hit a fly ball down the line and it blows back into fair territory for the out. Doesn't make sense as it would've blown out of play. Is this cause of bad ball physics in the game or the fact that wind has nothing to do with the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: Ball Physics or Wind?

Well I mean wind can change direction, start and stop irl; I would hope "wind blowing to LF at 17 mph" doesn't mean there's a 17-mph jetstream to left effective on every pitch. That would be ridiculous.

That said, would be nice if the flags were real-time.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

It's probably a stadium physics problem.

What you experienced is, from what I've read, quite common at Wrigley. The boundaries aren't quite right at Wrigley and foul balls are sometimes "caught" by the CPU. Ramone just addressed it in the recent patch thread and said that they can't fix it because the patch would be too big.

Bcruise would know more about it than I. He has a Cubs franchise.

Last edited by sydrogerdavid; 06-13-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
It's probably a stadium physics problem.

What you experienced is, from what I've read, quite common at Wrigley. The boundaries aren't quite right at Wrigley and foul balls are sometimes "caught" by the CPU. Ramone just addressed it in the recent patch thread and said that they can't fix it because the patch would be too big.

Bcruise would know more about it than I. He has a Cubs franchise.
Oh, right, that too.

I thought he was just talking about a fly ball that blew back onto the field despite a contradictory wind. Because that can happen in any stadium.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
MVP

Lisac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Oh, right, that too.

I thought he was just talking about a fly ball that blew back onto the field despite a contradictory wind. Because that can happen in any stadium.
I remember in years past if wind was blowing out it would be a HR contest and wind blowing in it would be very low scoring game. I miss those days! Also if wind is blowing out and you hit a foul ball in that same direction a ball will not blow back into play!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

It's probably a combination of ball physics and wind... (though without a replay I don't know what kind of play you actually saw).

In The Show, if you hit a towering fly ball or pop up, the batted ball tends to have a back spin that makes it drift toward center quite a bit. You can see this in the shadow the ball cast on the field and keeping track of how it moves on the type of hit.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
MVP

Lisac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
It's probably a combination of ball physics and wind... (though without a replay I don't know what kind of play you actually saw).

In The Show, if you hit a towering fly ball or pop up, the batted ball tends to have a back spin that makes it drift toward center quite a bit. You can see this in the shadow the ball cast on the field and keeping track of how it moves on the type of hit.
But in real life we know that doesn't happen and in the Show a few years back it didn't either
Old 06-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisac
But in real life we know that doesn't happen and in the Show a few years back it didn't either
The batted ball often does spin like that in real life (after all, towering fly ball and pop-ups are swung under, which gives it a back spin, just like the pitcher throwing a 4SFB snapping the wrist under the ball to give it a back spin), and that's the reason why the catcher fielding a pop-up around the plate needs to flip around and face the backstop (which the catchers in The Show actually do, which is fantastic), so that the ball looks coming toward instead of running away from him.

Personally I feel the spin should probably die down a bit more (due to drag) in The Show and also the direction of spin on the ball should have a little more variety... but on the very basic level I think The Show's ball physics is handling a whole a lot of things properly. It's a matter of tuning which can still improve I feel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »