Home

1st Baseman Role in DP he initiated question....

This is a discussion on 1st Baseman Role in DP he initiated question.... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
Rookie

duc748s's Arena

OVR: 2
1st Baseman Role in DP he initiated question....

I have a question, I thought I knew the answer, but many times during gameplay I find this situation happening all the time.

Runner on 1st..Batter hits ball down the line towards 1st base...1st Baseman fields the ball (~5' off the bag), he throws to second to start the DP....

This is where I am confused. Is there a rule stating that the 1st baseman can not go back to the bag to complete the DP because he fielded the ball and initiated the DP?

Everytime this situation happens in MLBTS the 1st baseman will not go back to the bag to finish the play no matter how close he is... Is this correct?

Player moving 5 or 10' over is a lot quicker than me trying to travel ~60 some odd feet to get to the bag....

So basically I thought I knew the answer but I am now unsure. So I figure I'll ask to get the correct answer instead of assuming, so thanks in advance for the clarification

(To add.. I have yet to see the 1st baseman touch the bag then throw to 2nd when he is really close to 1st either, usually he will just field the ball and throw to second)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: 1st Baseman Role in DP he initiated question....

No this is an issue with the game. Typically if the 1st Baseman has to go far to his right, away from the base, to field a ball, its the pitcher's job/role to cover the first base for the double play.

If the ball is hit pretty much right at the first baseman, he will field, throw to second (sometimes they step on first base first and then throw forcing a tag situation, but thats not relevant here) and then he will go back and cover the first base for the return throw.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Rookie

duc748s's Arena

Cool, thanks for the answer and clarification. I thought that was the case but the gameplay was making me question myself lol
Old 06-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc748s
Cool, thanks for the answer and clarification. I thought that was the case but the gameplay was making me question myself lol
you're welcome

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc748s
There also aren't any 3-6 double plays where the 1st baseman will step on 1st then throw to 2nd to get a tag out. This typically happens when the batted ball takes the 1st baseman toward the base. I've never seen it happen on purpose (i.e. not where the 1st baseman happens to step on the bag while throwing to 2nd).

1st base and catcher animations really need to be worked on. They're way too robotic.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2015, 03:16 AM   #6
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

Recognized that too, with all the praise the game is getting it still needs a lot of polishing. (Even if the community attendees around here won't openly agree with it)
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

We're doing pretty good if it just needs polishing. I could write a book about everything they got right but only a chapter and a half on what still needs improving.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Rookie

duc748s's Arena

I wouldn't go that far. It gets a lot right and when it plays correctly it makes for a fun realist game, a great game of baseball. BUT... There are a lot of fundamentals that are not working correctly or missing (1st base play, bunt festivals - bunt 3rd outs not being counted, pick off throws, shifts - while pitching no notification(s) - API not calling correct pitches for shifts (I play RttS pitcher so this matters to me, there used to be DPad down to get an expanded field view so I would use this to see shifts but this is gone now), NL pitchers not swinging at pitches or bunting in bunt situations (easy out), HR errors at certain ballparks, unearned runs being counted as earned.......etc). So while they have accomplished much and did an exception effort this generation, the small team size is starting to show in the end product

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »