Home

Six man rotation

This is a discussion on Six man rotation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
Rookie

Fours's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Six man rotation

A 6 man rotation doesn't make a lot of sense unless you've got great depth and Starters that routinely go 8 Innings or just a strong preference for a guys innings to come from starting and not from the pen.

Pitching every 6th day means likely 2 of your starters are ready to go, but sitting on the bench, not able to pitch. That costs you an arm in the bullpen, or a short bench. Especially when you have days off, there will be over 10 times that your ace/2 goes 7 days between starts.

If the 6th starter averages 6IP per start, he could have got that, or close to it, being used as your primary middle inning reliever. Especially with some spot starts in the sections of your schedule without days off.

So essentially a 6 man rotation keeps your best pitchers out of games, and forces you to rely on a short staffed bullpen while healthy starters watch ball games.

This is especially true in game since the stamina rating is static, and you don't have to worry about having guys arms stretched out with consistent throwing programs.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Pro

raneman85's Arena

OVR: 6

I'll do it if my spot starter hasn't been in for like 10 games or if I want a better pitching matchup in the next four games. I'm not seeing many injuries, and when I do nothing requiring a DL stay. If that happens, I change the rotation. I've done a 4 man with the day off, but you didn't ask about that.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #11
Rookie

I've done it on occasion, and with the increased number of teams doing in real life this year (though often only a time or 2 through the rotation), I think it'd be cool for the devs to allow it next year. Just put an extra slot that doesn't have to be filled, just like how the 5th slot doesn't have to be filled now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

It's all I use now, and I love it because I never really have to worry about how tired my pitcher will be for their next start. If they are pitching well, I can just let them keep going. I can get away with it though because I have an incredibly deep rotation. The sacrifice is on my 3 player bench (catcher, a utility infielder and an outfielder).

I'm in the AL though so that would be a 4 person bench in the NL.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Banned

MountaineersSon's Arena

I feel like this can go here but is there a long reliever glitch. Maybe not a glitch but bad AI coach mode programming?

At times I've knocked out the starting pitcher early in games, 2 or 3 innings in, and the computer brings in the long reliever (exhibition mode, my roster set where each team has a long reliever with above average stamina) and the next at bat up for the long reliever he's pinch hit for.

Sometimes the long reliever will only pitch an inning or two thirds of an inning in a ball game that's a complete blowout by the 2nd inning.

I was wondering in say a franchise mode if the poor logic would tax a bullpen over the course of a game affecting next day games?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
Rookie

timmermac's Arena

OVR: 1

I refuse to use a 6-man rotation on general principle. I actually wouldn't mind if the developers would set things so a permanent 4-man rotation could be possible. I, personally, would love to be able to have starters able to throw 280+ innings in a season like they used to do.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #15
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmermac
I refuse to use a 6-man rotation on general principle. I actually wouldn't mind if the developers would set things so a permanent 4-man rotation could be possible. I, personally, would love to be able to have starters able to throw 280+ innings in a season like they used to do.
You can put only 4 pitchers in your rotation. When you look at your pitching rotation you'll still see a blank spot but the game will treat it like you're doing a 4-man rotation.

So yes, you can do a 4-man rotation right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »