Home

Pitcher Makeup explanation?

This is a discussion on Pitcher Makeup explanation? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
Banned

TonyDanzaFan's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Pitcher Makeup explanation?

I could be wrong but from my experience using a wide array of pitchers, I think the BB/9 rating impacts whether or not the pitch is called a strike, not where it ends up. I walk a ton of people with Nolan Ryan because pitches in the zone or on the edge are routinely called balls, yet with a pitcher with a high BB (can't think of any right now) those same pitches are called strikes more than balls.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #18
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanzaFan
I could be wrong but from my experience using a wide array of pitchers, I think the BB/9 rating impacts whether or not the pitch is called a strike, not where it ends up. I walk a ton of people with Nolan Ryan because pitches in the zone or on the edge are routinely called balls, yet with a pitcher with a high BB (can't think of any right now) those same pitches are called strikes more than balls.
I'd have to disagree. BB/9 may effect strike calls, but I know it effects pitch location. I've got pitchers with control in the low 60s who can still put it on a dime due to a high BB/9. I've also played with pitchers with control in the low 80s and they struggle with location due to a low BB/9.

The intangible ratings, as I like to call them, cast a wide web in terms of the things they effect. There is no one thing that you can point to and say: it only effects this. That is why they are so important while at the same time difficult to explain.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Does anyone know what the difference is between a pitcher's BB/9 and control rating? I've noticed some pitchers have a noticeable difference in rating between the two even though they seem to be very related to each other. Not sure what to make of it.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox
Does anyone know what the difference is between a pitcher's BB/9 and control rating? I've noticed some pitchers have a noticeable difference in rating between the two even though they seem to be very related to each other. Not sure what to make of it.
The control rating deals with individual pitches, and the control rating you see in the players card is just an amalgamated stat from all of their individual pitch control stats.

A pitches individual control rating actually DOES have an effect on the control of other pitches, same with velocity and break. The overall control stat is a great reference for figuring out how much control in general a pitcher has over their pitches.

I use pulse pitching so I'll use it as a reference in order to show the factors effecting control.

One factor is how small the pulse CAN get. The smaller it can get, the more precisely a pitcher can throw a pitch. I believe this is the factor that control effects the most. You'll notice that no matter how high you make a pitcher's control, some pitches will still have a wider circle like curveballs.

Another is how often the pitch will actually be thrown inside the circle. I'm not sure, but I believe THIS is the stat that BB/9 effects the most. In theory, a pitcher with high BB/9 will throw within the circle more often, preventing wide misses and meatballs down the middle.

The third is how generous or tight the timing window is in order to get that circle as small as possible. This has a lot to do with pitch confidence and clutch.

All of these factors combine in order to determine pitch control. I may be mixing up BB/9 and Control, it's been a while since I figured it all out, but I hope I've convinced you the importance of having both, since they both have a huge impact on where the ball eventually ends up.

PS, I've made a max control, max BB/9 pitcher before. The difference is noticeable, but it's still not perfect. It is absolutely impossible to have a pitcher who places their pitches exactly where they want every single pitch. Also keep in mind that the faster a pitch is, the harder it is to control. Same with movement.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
When deciding who's 'roster ready' with position players, do you put more importance on offensive ratings over defensive or the other way around? Or do they have to meet a minimum rating for all their individual stats to get the call?

Offense has to be at least potentially decent. I'm not calling up a 40/30 Contact/Power, regardless of defense or speed, unless in a tough situation with injuries.

Defense - depends on the position. 2B/SS must have high reaction and at least average arm in the case of SS. 3B I care mostly about arm. Reaction has to be decent enough, but it seems most balls are slow enough for them to get to or if they are hit hard, all the reaction in the world won't help much. 1B - mostly fielding. I don't want them dropping throws and I want them to be able to handle errant throws as much as possible.

Outfield - slow players need not apply. Reaction and Speed have to be at least average (around 65). Arm is some consideration, but I usually use relay throws most of the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »