Home

Opposite field homeruns

This is a discussion on Opposite field homeruns within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Opposite field homeruns

Opposite field homeruns I think of bigger power guys like Trout, Cabrera, Rizzo etc. Even a guy like Brandon Moss, who hit one opposite field irl the other night. I just see it with very unlikely guys in the game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...FogGcUlqoCYDTg
Old 07-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #10
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
Opposite field homeruns I think of bigger power guys like Trout, Cabrera, Rizzo etc. Even a guy like Brandon Moss, who hit one opposite field irl the other night. I just see it with very unlikely guys in the game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Yeah, last year in my A's franchise, I hit like 5 - 6 HRs with Eric Sogard in Spring Training alone, because with him I was actually trying to go the other way (also because the pitch speed slider was also jacked up to make it tougher for me to stay disciplined)... turned out that approach made me hit overall better, and the side effect was also some power. I hit terribly with Josh Donaldson because I was going for pull more often.

My observation came from that experience, which you also seems to be having.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:40 AM   #11
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Yeah, last year in my A's franchise, I hit like 5 - 6 HRs with Eric Sogard in Spring Training alone, because with him I was actually trying to go the other way (also because the pitch speed slider was also jacked up to make it tougher for me to stay disciplined)... turned out that approach made me hit overall better, and the side effect was also some power. I hit terribly with Josh Donaldson because I was going for pull more often.

My observation came from that experience, which you also seems to be having.
I have pitch speed at 5. So are you saying I should try lowering it to 4? I def don't want to raise the timing slider up to 6. I mean it's not a game killer, it's just one of those little things that bother me lol.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...FogGcUlqoCYDTg
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 01:47 AM   #12
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I have pitch speed at 5. So are you saying I should try lowering it to 4? I def don't want to raise the timing slider up to 6. I mean it's not a game killer, it's just one of those little things that bother me lol.
I'm not necessarily suggesting that you lower the pitch speed. I definitely think the opposite field power should be nerfed a bit, so that there is a trade-off between pulling to generate power and going the other way for more sure contact (in sacrifice of power). But I don't think there is a good way to adjust (e.g., through sliders) just one type of hit... so in the end I'm basically just saying it's just one of those little things that bother me as well lol.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
Just started!

OVR: 0

I go up looking for the change up so Im late for the fast ball alot of times thus the opposite field homers. If I get ahead in the count Im more likely to pull though.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #14
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

Of my last 20 or so HRs, about 6 of them have been opposite field homers. I've noticed more opposite field HRs, when I started using more normal swings when trying to go the other way. With the change to more normal swings overall, I'm also noting that I'm getting more balls that find the gaps leading to an increase of doubles and triples.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0

I flyout to the warning track going oppo much more than I do when pulling the ball. I also find im able to just get under a pitch a little bit, but still have enough power to clear the fence when pulling. The longest HR's ive hit in this game is when I get out in front of a fastball, I rarely hit absolute bombs when going oppo. From my experience I'd say you definitely generate more power when pulling the ball, but the quality of contact/chances for a hit increase when you are thinking up middle and to the opposite field gap. There appears to be a pretty nice balance between pulling and going oppo, but I think it shows up more on a difficulty like HOF where the user power is toned down just a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #16
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I feel like they are toned down from years past. I still see too many—particularly from guys who probably shouldn't be hitting them. Actually feels like homers are harder to hit in general this year at default sliders or realism-oriented custom sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »