Home

Thoughts on an overhaul of Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Thoughts on an overhaul of Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Thoughts on an overhaul of Franchise Mode

Agree 100% with the OP on attributes and potential. I had this same argument with NBA2k where they regressed guys on IQ stuff. No one gets dumber with age, just as in MLB no one tends to get worse with plate vision (in fact they tend to get better). Great point about speed and arm strength. Those are definitely things that are evident at a young age and shouldn't tend to progress a great deal, and speed should certainly regress as players age past their peak.

I'd like to see more randomization in the progression. I know some hate this, and maybe it could turned off and on for those who don't like it, but I think it's great when a top pick simply flops. Happens all the time in baseball. And I'd like to see more one year wonders too. Guys who have a great rookie year and then the league catches up or even guys who suddenly have a career year (Brady Anderson anyone?).

wouldn't like less detail in the offseason. I get more enjoyment from the GM aspect than the gameplay after awhile and will often just sim through seasons to do the GM Work. I would love to see more immersion though, similar to NBA 2k with news articles, fake twitter, etc.

Great ideas though in general and I also hope they improve the stat tracking. Would like to see career stats and also things like OPS+
Old 07-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
Rookie

zfarrow's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
wouldn't like less detail in the offseason. I get more enjoyment from the GM aspect than the gameplay after awhile and will often just sim through seasons to do the GM Work. I would love to see more immersion though, similar to NBA 2k with news articles, fake twitter, etc.
Definitely don't want LESS detail in the offseason. I love the depth of everything, I just think the process is somewhat convoluted and could be streamlined to be more user-friendly.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfarrow
Definitely don't want LESS detail in the offseason. I love the depth of everything, I just think the process is somewhat convoluted and could be streamlined to be more user-friendly.
Not really. It is user friendly for the most part. Just read the transaction handbook if you don't understand anything or ask on here.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
Pro

Mikeyo918's Arena

more big league veterans need to be DFA if they are having bad seasons, more free agents need to be available, and teams need to sign more free agents during the season.
Florida Panthers
Miami Hurricanes
Chelsea Blues
InterMiami
MLBTS ‘23 (PS5)

https://www.twitch.tv/coastiemike918
Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 24
Thumbs down Re: Thoughts on an overhaul of Franchise Mode

Great thread, I agree with everything 100%. Regarding the offseason, I do think more communication is needed. Here's an example: I lost a few players in my first offseason because while I understood the rules, I didn't understand what the game was telling me. It marked several players as arbitration eligible, for example. I know arbitration means I don't have to sign them to an extension, so I didn't. Then they all disappeared and I had to reboot to an earlier file and manually offer each and every one a pointless extension they'd refuse just so I could enter arbitration.

I don't think the offseason system needs to be retooled per-se, but it just needs a better way to convey things to users. Maybe some more pop-up notification; how about color highlighting? Put arbitration players in blue. Rookies in Yellow. Players that will be free agents and were on your 25 man roster before (ie they are important) in green. Etc... etc...

Just some better labeling all around would be appreciated. One must remember I'm managing 90+ guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 24

I also especially agree on presentation and player scouting/growth/regression..

I think the commentary is quite terrible and needs to be completely scrapped and re-done. The whole way it is executed is just off. We don't need lines on every little thing, like a quick pitch, or a swing in the dirt. General conversation about the "bigger picture" of the game (standings, injuries, team trends, player trends( is critical to a real life broadcast, and The Show would do well to shift in that direction.

A big complaint of mine are the several, blatantly unrealistic systems The Show has, and the current player variance system is one example. You already summed it up quite well: speed potential doesn't exist nor make any sort of rational sense. The speed a player has as a prospect is almost always the fastest they will ever be (bar injury). Same with arm strength, and a few others, as well as certain ratings on the regression side (physical power, arm strength, etc...)

I'm finished now, lol.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #23
Rookie

For some reason I actually like the commentary in this game more than any other sports game. Maybe it's because it's my first year playing The Show.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntait1
For some reason I actually like the commentary in this game more than any other sports game. Maybe it's because it's my first year playing The Show.
I don't mind the commentary. It's important to remember it would be VERY hard to have the guys recording a million voice snippets for every possible scenario in a season regarding how teams are doing, players are doing, etc. NBA2k tries to talk about players and teams and "bigger picture" issues and they end up being outdated or incorrect way too often in a franchise. In a perfect world it would be awesome if we had commentary advanced enough to discuss tons of big picture issues on a game to game, week to week, and season to season basis, but I'm simply not sure of the logistics.

I do think the commentary is a bit less repetitive than in the past.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »