Home

Fastball/Change Up

This is a discussion on Fastball/Change Up within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16
Fastball/Change Up

This is a HUGE problem with the game. On default rosters I'd guess that 75% of pitchers have a Pat Neshek-tier change up. It's silly. It's particularly problematic in year two or three of a franchise. I'm in year three of my online franchise and there are loads of guys that are throwing 101 MPH on their fastballs..which changeups sitting in the mid 70's. Do you know how ridiculous that is? Try hitting it for yourself sometime. Sorry for the rant I'd just like to hear any solutions to this...it seems that as pitchers progress more in franchises the gap between fastball change up steadily increases. I wish it wouldn't as this is incredibly unrealistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Fastball/Change Up

I downloaded a pitch edit roster and it's a totally new ball game.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2015, 03:24 AM   #3
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah, pitch edit roster help a lot. Sure it has Felix throwing a sinker instead of his changeup, but the speed/movement on it are true to life. It's awesome, honestly.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Yeah - the change up works in reverse to all other pitches. As its velocity rating increases, its velocity decreases.

So when pitchers develop their pitches and increase their velocity ratings - the spread gets large, sometimes very large as you noted.

I don't know why they did this with change ups. They basically took out of relation to the rest of the pitches because of this.

What's funny is that it's not always so dramatic. I took two of my pitchers, both with killer FBs - Damian Boeve (generated rookie) and Jose Fernandez. I gave them both circle changes (since that's what Fernandez has and I wanted them the same), maxed 99 Velocity and took them into a game.

For Ferandez, when I maxed his circle change velocity - it was 68-70 MPH vs a 96-99 MPH tailing fastball. For Boeve, it was 85-87 MPH vs his 99-102 MPH 4-seamer.

Maybe there's a bug somewhere or there's something with how it relates to what pitch number it is or the rest of the pitcher's arsenal?

As far as hitting it...I have to sit on it, and then try to react to the fastball. One thing about that big a difference, you'll know quickly which one you have coming at you (which is one reason why real pitchers don't have 30 MPH differences in their fastball/change-up combo) - but it's hard not to feel like you need to gear up for the heat. I try to "gear down" for the junk and then read fastball fast enough. Easier typed than done.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

I know about pitch edit rosters. They are great. I just think the pitching development system is kinda broken. We are in year 3 of my online league and it's becoming very arcade like with some of the pitchers we're seeing. Almost everyone's throwing high 90's with offspeed in low 80's or high 70's...the worst offenders have Pat Neshek type stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Banned

BDrizz's Arena

OVR: 0

Where can one find said "pitch edit" rosters?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »