Home

Challenge question?

This is a discussion on Challenge question? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2015, 03:30 AM   #1
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10
Challenge question?

So earlier I had googled how to actually challenge a play in franchise mode, and found out that you don't get to choose to challenge a play, you have to wait for the opportunity, but the thread I found said that a box would pop up saying to hit a button during a replay/cut scene to challenge it. I haven't seen that yet, but my follow-up to learning that information is: Would the opportunity still arise for me if I always pound through the replays/cut scenes by hitting the X button? Or will I just totally miss the opportunity to challenge, then?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
MVP

MatrixTN's Arena

Re: Challenge question?

Only close plays at first can be challenged, the popup will appear shortly afterward. There will also be one replay so watch it carefully because you will only have about 10 seconds to decide whether or not to challenge. Also, its not only in franchise - its any reg. gameplay mode except RTTS (also presuming you won't get to if you're using player lock).
Old 08-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Rookie

calbrs04's Arena

OVR: 0

The challenge system sucks in this game. As previously stated, it's only on close plays at first (i.e. hitter trying to get on base, not pickoff attempts). And like mentioned, it is a 20 second cutscene, but you only get a single 10 second replay at the end to decide if you want to challenge.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbrs04
The challenge system sucks in this game. As previously stated, it's only on close plays at first (i.e. hitter trying to get on base, not pickoff attempts). And like mentioned, it is a 20 second cutscene, but you only get a single 10 second replay at the end to decide if you want to challenge.
While true, I've never had any issues judging whether I need to challenge or not. Every replay I've seen, even though it only gives you 10 seconds to view the video, I can see the result of the batter touching the base with enough seconds left to make a decision.

Of course, that's just my experience though.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Rookie

baseballmad's Arena

You may as well challenge as I've yet to see two challenges in any game yet.......so what have you got to lose ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

I was mostly wondering if I would still get an opportunity to do the challenge if I am busy mashing the X button to get through all the cut-scenes. So I guess my question was, is it going to FORCE me to slow down and see the prompt and make a decision, or is it possible that me skipping through the cut scenes would skip it? I've had a lot of close plays at first, but haven't seen a prompt for a challenge yet, so I'm worried I have been skipping through the opportunity by hitting X all the time. Haha.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Rookie

Violinguy's Arena

Because game animation is inherently unrealistic, I don't find it difficult to challenge or not challenge at all. I can almost always tell in real time whether or not the play is called correctly. I have a near-100% challenge/no challenge rate. I have missed a few but very rarely.

It rarely comes up anyhow so I don't really give it any thought. Yes, I wish I actually had control over which plays I could challenge, but IMO, there's hardly any way to not get it right when the situation presents itself.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleShreen
I was mostly wondering if I would still get an opportunity to do the challenge if I am busy mashing the X button to get through all the cut-scenes. So I guess my question was, is it going to FORCE me to slow down and see the prompt and make a decision, or is it possible that me skipping through the cut scenes would skip it? I've had a lot of close plays at first, but haven't seen a prompt for a challenge yet, so I'm worried I have been skipping through the opportunity by hitting X all the time. Haha.
It usually pops up about a second or 2 after the call. Anytime there's a close play at first, always pause for the cause for a bit to see. If you keep mashing X, you'll likely challenge the call before the manager even gets to the ump.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »