Home

2016 Idea: Player Personalities and Manager Communications

This is a discussion on 2016 Idea: Player Personalities and Manager Communications within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
2016 Idea: Player Personalities and Manager Communications

Here's my idea that would bring this game to a whole new level:

Add in player personalities that affect animations and how a player reacts to situations. Add in the ability to argue a play and literally push an umpire's buttons; the more you push the button, the more your player argues and risks getting ejected. This can tie in to umpire personalities. Before each game, there should be a scouting report available, not just for the other team's players, but for the umpires as well. That way you can learn if a particular umpire has a tendency to eject quickly, or to give a little more leeway, etc. Furthermore, add the ability for the manager to come out and argue and potentially get ejected. In real life, that can provide a spark to a sleepy offense. Should be the same in the game. I can't believe this isn't part of the game yet after all these years. It's part of the game in real life. Why not in the game? Same with the ability to charge a pitcher who hits you.

Finally, I feel that we should be able to essentially "be" the manager in our Franchise modes. What I mean is, after games, we should be able to communicate with our players. There should be a number of communications we can choose that affect a player's confidence and team morale. (THERE SHOULD DEFINITELY BE A TEAM MORALE METER THAT AFFECTS HOW A TEAM PLAYS ON A GIVEN DAY). A team on a 4-game losing streak should take a hit in the team morale meter and should therefore be slightly negatively affected in terms of their ability for the next game. Perhaps as a manager, you can go and give a pep talk that gives them an uptick in the meter. Or perhaps you can go talk to the next day's starter and give him a little pep talk, and then if he pitches a great game the next day, the team morale will go up. How will these communications work? Obviously they will have to be pre-loaded messages you can choose to relay. But there have to be a LOT of them for it to feel immersive. Same goes for a struggling player. If you want to bench him or sit him down, you choose how to relay the information to him so as not to affect his morale meter. This can tie in to player personalities I mentioned above. In real life, so much of a manager's job is managing personalities. So to make this more realistic, we NEED THIS ASPECT IN THE GAME. There should be notifications from lower coaches every day, some that may say a particularly play is a "cancer in the clubhouse" or saying a particular player has been putting in extra effort, etc. (Again, we would need A LOT of variety so this doesn't get repetitive or canned.) Then you could figure out what to do with the bad player and how to approach it, or to communicate to the hard-working player how you feel. Or if you want a player to change positions, etc. It has endless possibilities. The game has become stale. Let's make it better!

Last edited by Chai2112; 09-02-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »