Home

Auto Defensive Shift vs Manual (AI fairness)

This is a discussion on Auto Defensive Shift vs Manual (AI fairness) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
Auto Defensive Shift vs Manual (AI fairness)

I enjoy setting shifts pregame for my opponent, but it seems pretty apparent that the AI only does minute' shifts via what would be the equivalent of having defensive shifts set to auto and not adjusting things beyond that.

Do you consider using manual shifts via the pause menu as an unfair advantage? Or do you see the AI making some of the more subtle shifts against you? (for example, OF deep AND shifted left or right), or a minor IF shift and not the extreme one that comes with defensive shift set to auto)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Auto Defensive Shift vs Manual (AI fairness)

I wish the CPU was more dynamic in adjusting their defense. I don't consider it unfair to manually adjust your defense. You need every advantage you can get against the CPU.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

I have a few players on my team that the CPU REALLY needs to play the shift on, but never does because they've only been programmed to against certain players.

My Jose Bautista hits 90% pull, probably even higher when he hits it on the ground. If the CPU infield played an aggressive shift against him his batting average would drop dramatically. You don't know how many hard hit grounders I've gotten down the line, through the gap or up the middle for singles with him.

I kind of wish the CPU adjusted strategy dynamically based on the specific players recent hitting tendencies.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

OP, are you saying that you manually set the shifts for the CPU playing against you prior to the game? That's not a bad idea...
Old 09-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0

I generally auto shift defense. I will on occasion late in games do a shift or 2 if I pick up a tendency of a batter or situation. But other then that, I just let my auto handle shifts.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Do you consider using manual shifts via the pause menu as an unfair advantage? Or do you see the AI making some of the more subtle shifts against you? (for example, OF deep AND shifted left or right), or a minor IF shift and not the extreme one that comes with defensive shift set to auto)

I do, though I don't think shifts are as much an advantage in this game as they might be in the real game - considering how easily hitters can defy their tendencies at will, even if you pitch to your defensive alignment
Old 09-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I do, though I don't think shifts are as much an advantage in this game as they might be in the real game - considering how easily hitters can defy their tendencies at will, even if you pitch to your defensive alignment
This, hitters in this game both human and cpu can defy shifts a bit too easily

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »