Home

Why does fielding suck?

This is a discussion on Why does fielding suck? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why does fielding suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleShreen
Inside franchise mode. ALDS playoffs! Haha
I feel for you man, would have smashed my controller if this happened to me in playoff game lol
Old 09-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
Rookie

aldon_47's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
Fielding is def improved, really enjoying it in the infield. There will be the occasional glitch, sometimes at the worst times. Im having the most fun Ive had in the series in the infield.

Outfield play around the wall is a disaster. Anything close to the OF wall is a crapshoot. You can never tell if its going to hit the wall, if you need to lunge, or just stand under. So many times Ive stood near the wall as a ball comes down, and it hits the wall above my head, and bounces away. My fielder just stands there like theres no ball at all, doesnt put his hand up or anything. Sometimes I see an icon on the wall, sometimes nothing, its just a mess.
Agreed. Its also very frustrating when there's a play on the warning track and the outfielder goes into the animation of running a few extra steps, pushing up against the wall, and then casually throwing the ball to the cutoff man. Once had a guy tag up and score from second from a play like that. I absolutely LOVE this game but man, sometimes...
Old 09-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldon_47
Agreed. Its also very frustrating when there's a play on the warning track and the outfielder goes into the animation of running a few extra steps, pushing up against the wall, and then casually throwing the ball to the cutoff man. Once had a guy tag up and score from second from a play like that. I absolutely LOVE this game but man, sometimes...
Yea couple that with the the CPU who almost can read that those animations are trapping you, and taking extra bases on it, and can def get frustrating. I play with throwing power and i swear they can immediately know when Im making a bad throw, and take advantage. IRL the runner would need to see more of the throw in the air before deciding he can take advantage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
Yea couple that with the the CPU who almost can read that those animations are trapping you, and taking extra bases on it, and can def get frustrating. I play with throwing power and i swear they can immediately know when Im making a bad throw, and take advantage. IRL the runner would need to see more of the throw in the air before deciding he can take advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some aspects of that. Just watching baserunners (both mine and CPU since I use auto baserunning), the decisions they make are sometimes "curious" if they don't know these things.

Granted, my Hamilton got thrown out trying to take a triple (but with his speed, it makes sense that he'd be very aggressive), but Yelich did the same thing (and is out of character for him with his good-but-not-great speed) and he would have been out by a mile...but the throw was way off. I wonder if he "knew", because he RARELY tries to stretch into triples.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4

The throws home that have the runner beat and the catcher just takes the ball off his chest and the run scores drives me insane.

I feel like it is almost like a random number generator. 1-5 he fields it cleanly, 6-10 he drops the ball, 11-99 the throw is way off target.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16
The throws home that have the runner beat and the catcher just takes the ball off his chest and the run scores drives me insane.

I feel like it is almost like a random number generator. 1-5 he fields it cleanly, 6-10 he drops the ball, 11-99 the throw is way off target.

Because it probably is on some level.

I wouldn't be surprised if the user control part mitigates/limits the range of randomness rather than eliminating it.

To use pitching as an example - Classic is almost all RNG. Meter, for example, allows you to limit it by hitting the meter on time.

Throwing meter is probably the same way. Anything else is RNG mitigated by the player's ratings to a degree.

Throws pull fielder off the bags by large amounts much too often. Throws aren't always perfect, but the mistakes are too large, especially for anyone not rated with an erratic arm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »