Home

Need more animations in '16!!

This is a discussion on Need more animations in '16!! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Need more animations in '16!!

I was playing my franchise last night, and I had a great game going. I was up 2-1 in the 7th inning and my reliever loaded the bases with no outs. I thought I would for sure give up at least a couple of runs, per the usual, but I buckled down to get two strikeouts and a ground out to end it with no runs coming across the plate. I fist-pumped to myself and shouted a resounding "F yah!" when it occurred to me: the game needs more of that!! I want to see players pound fists, fist pump, shouting, slapping five more, players pointing to each other when one makes a great play or a great hit to score someone, more jumps, more exclamations, more EXCITEMENT, etc.

How many times did we see this from the Royals during the recent World Series? It doesn't only have to be a postseason thing. This happens in everyday baseball (although should be more, like in the postseason), and it needs to be included in next year's game. It's just so anticlimactic when I play great and get all excited in my living room, but the actual players on the screen don't seem to care all that much. People agree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Need more animations in '16!!

Sometimes the players do keep it together and stay calm. Then there are players like Marcus Stroman who live, breath and sweat excitement. While I'm not expecting SDS to add unique player personalities (though that would be really really cool) I do agree that there should be more excitement on the field, especially after a key out. Definitely need a better balance then the 99% "professional" that the guys are right now.

I have actually seen some good excitement animations. Kelvin Herrera got a key out for me in the playoffs, and he showed it, but that is really the only one that sticks out in my mind.

I'd say a 80% "pro" response to a 20% "animated" response would be a bit better ratio. But honestly I'm just guessing. Anyone else got thoughts on that?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Pro

Herschie's Arena

I'd actually like to see this. But then I'd like to see less animations during the actual gameplay. Whoa! Less animations? Why, Herschie? Well, you see, back in the days when they didn't have as many, they were able to get the ones that they did have right. As a result, with fewer animations to worry about, the game played much smoother. MLB 06: The Show had far fewer, yet it played great.

In the end, you notice the animations more during cutscenes than during the actual gameplay.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
I'd actually like to see this. But then I'd like to see less animations during the actual gameplay. Whoa! Less animations? Why, Herschie? Well, you see, back in the days when they didn't have as many, they were able to get the ones that they did have right. As a result, with fewer animations to worry about, the game played much smoother. MLB 06: The Show had far fewer, yet it played great.

In the end, you notice the animations more during cutscenes than during the actual gameplay.
While I don't agree with this I totally get where you are coming from. And I must admit, more animations can lead to more problems with implementation and triggers. ALSO, I have to admit more animations have diminishing returns.

I think that these problems should be tackled head on as opposed to avoided, because even though there will be bumps along the path it will lead to a better product in the end. You make a good point for avoiding though and instead focusing on a few really good animations.

TL;DR: You made a logical and constructive point that I just happen to disagree with. Bravo!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
While I don't agree with this I totally get where you are coming from. And I must admit, more animations can lead to more problems with implementation and triggers. ALSO, I have to admit more animations have diminishing returns.

I think that these problems should be tackled head on as opposed to avoided, because even though there will be bumps along the path it will lead to a better product in the end. You make a good point for avoiding though and instead focusing on a few really good animations.

TL;DR: You made a logical and constructive point that I just happen to disagree with. Bravo!
I hear you. I guess I should revise what I wrote above. It's not that we need "more" animations, just that we need "more exciting" animations. Take out some of the currents ones for all I care. Just need more excitement and less robotic responses to key situations/outs.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »