Home

Does the CPU ever attempt to steal 2nd in RTTS???

This is a discussion on Does the CPU ever attempt to steal 2nd in RTTS??? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

OVR: 0
Does the CPU ever attempt to steal 2nd in RTTS???

I'm on my 3rd season of my 2nd baseman RTTS career and I've yet to see the CPU attempt to steal a base while playing defense! The other day I fired up my ps3 and started playing my old RTTS in MLB 12 (I'm on my 5th season) and I was getting chances to tag out a runner at least once or twice every other game or so. Does this happen in 15??? I've played hundreds of games without a single attempt!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

Re: Does the CPU ever attempt to steal 2nd in RTTS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben2424
I'm on my 3rd season of my 2nd baseman RTTS career and I've yet to see the CPU attempt to steal a base while playing defense! The other day I fired up my ps3 and started playing my old RTTS in MLB 12 (I'm on my 5th season) and I was getting chances to tag out a runner at least once or twice every other game or so. Does this happen in 15??? I've played hundreds of games without a single attempt!
just to clarify first, you are saying that when you are playing defence you never see the CPU attempt to steal 2nd base? if thats the case, could it be that most times its the shortstop that is usually the one trying to finish the pickoff? i say this because i have a shortstop and not every game but there are times where trying to get into a double play but i have to go cover 2nd base because of the steal attempt.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Pro

If you are asking why as a 2B you never have to tag out a stealing runner, it's because that's the shortstop's job
Old 11-08-2015, 03:45 AM   #4
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
If you are asking why as a 2B you never have to tag out a stealing runner, it's because that's the shortstop's job
Yes it is primarily the Shortstop's job to cover 2nd on steal attempts, but the 2nd baseman sometimes covers it as well depending on the situation. If a right-handed batter that often pulls the ball towards left field is up, the manager might prefer having the ss play his usual spot and bring up the 2B to cover the base in case of a steal. I did this plenty of times in high school as a second baseman. So the fact that I've yet to cover a single steal attempt in 3 seasons is a bit odd.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Rookie

mfreder2's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe

Not always. Believe it or not but the SS and 2b actually have signals that determine who covers the base and it can change not only by hitter but by pitch and count.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

My 2b covers SB by the CPU all the time. Much more frequent than my SS. At times they try and steal 3-4-5 times a game.

As far as signals between the two positions, in real life yes but I don't think they do that here. My 2B has only had to cover the bag when a RH batter is up. Same with SS, only when LH batter is up.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 11-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreder2
Not always. Believe it or not but the SS and 2b actually have signals that determine who covers the base and it can change not only by hitter but by pitch and count.
Those signals you mention are more for pickoff attempts for a runner on second. Having been a catcher, the player who covers on steals relied on the handedness of the batter (righty at the plate would have the 2B covering on a steal attempt and the SS would cover on a lefty at the plate). This is why there's a tendency to see more straight steals with a lefty at the plate vs a more likely hit-and-run with a righty as RHBs goal is to shoot it through the gap made by the 2B covering on the steal.

As far as the CPU going for steals, they can do this fairly regularly with a definite speed threat. If that speedy lead-off hitter (the 90+ spd, 90+ stl types), got on, I would expect a steal on at least one of the times he got on base.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »