Home

Lag (Offline)

This is a discussion on Lag (Offline) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Lag (Offline)

I've played The Show for a long time and for the past couple years I've been playing it on an LED/LCD Samsung HDTV. The first couple of times I played the game on the TV I felt like I was late on every pitch and felt as though it was my TV. However, after lowering the pitch speed a bit and simply getting used to it, I just kind of dealt with it and almost forgot about it. However, a friend of mine who also plays The Show came over tonight and we played a few games. He was quick to point out that he felt that there was some major lag in the time that he pressed the swing button to the time the batter actually swung the bat. He plays regularly and has a basis for comparison. I, however, do not but I have always felt that it was probably my TV if anything that was causing the lag.

I've looked a bit online and most suggestions say to try and use a "game mode" on the TV. However, no such mode exists. The TV's probably 2-3 years old but was a top of the line TV when it came out (smart TV 240 refresh rate, yada yada). But I'm curious for anyone else playing on a Samsung or any other LED/LCD unit, do you experience lag and if so have you been able to correct the issue?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Re: Lag (Offline)

Follow up to my post and an admission that I'm an idiot...

I looked deeper into the "game mode" for my TV and I eventually found it. To my credit, it was somewhat hidden in menus where you wouldn't think to look. However, that's not why I feel dumb. I feel incredibly stupid because there as an immediate and HUGE, let me stress HUGE difference in the input lag. It felt like a different game completely. And to think I've basically played the last three MLB: The Show games on this TV with crazy, crazy input lag. No wonder I've been late on EVERYTHING.

I was SUPER early on 97 MPH fastballs when I played a game just a bit ago. I made the adjustment and I can say with almost complete certainty that most of my hitting woes will be solved now that I've discovered this. My timing was incredible compared to what it has been. I really cannot believe that I've never figured this out before. It's seriously the biggest game-changer I think I've experienced from making an alteration to a setting (TV or in-game). I cannot get over the difference.

If any of you guys are playing on LCD/LED TV's and have not been playing in "game mode," you've not been playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Been documented a lot already over the years, both ps3 and ps4 for this game.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
Been documented a lot already over the years, both ps3 and ps4 for this game.
Yeah, I've seen it before. And I looked on my TV before and could never find the "game mode." It was hidden in an odd place, not where you think it would be. I just got used to the slight delay over the past 2-3 years which is absolutely insane. I played a game last night and walked five times and struck out ONCE! That NEVER happened before. Never. Overall I'm hitting the ball so much better, not late as much, etc. It's literally like a new experience for me. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that in MLB 16 I won't be in the bottom five in batting average like I have been for seemingly forever.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 01-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Rookie

Seltaeb9091's Arena

OVR: 2

I recently bought a Samsung LED and it took me a little while to find the Game Mode option as well. I would presume my set's menus are similar to yours and you expected to see the option in the Picture section. I did too until I went to the Settings area and stumbled upon it. Although it didn't take me nearly as long to find it, just know you're not alone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 12:40 AM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltaeb9091
I recently bought a Samsung LED and it took me a little while to find the Game Mode option as well. I would presume my set's menus are similar to yours and you expected to see the option in the Picture section. I did too until I went to the Settings area and stumbled upon it. Although it didn't take me nearly as long to find it, just know you're not alone.
Ha. Yep, exactly.

Streaming on Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »