Home

New player attributes that you'd like to see

This is a discussion on New player attributes that you'd like to see within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #65
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: New player attributes that you'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Just a few thoughts.....

On clutch....you can't really count the "clutch" rating in the Show as some sort of magical "you get lucky" attribute as it is talked about IRL.
It's just a modifier for certain situational hitting that is/can be tracked.
As any other real life stat or attribute in the game....past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance, but...

Now....injury and durability.
I've been begging FOREVER() to have separate attributes for this.
Durability....1-he's tired after 1 game....99....he can play all 162(+ if necessary)
Injury.....1.......he gets hurt watching someone mow the lawn.....99....he's an MMA fighter on the side and hasn't missed a fight in 5 years

Would love a separate power/hr attribute

Would also love to have stealing become untied to speed again....and have stealing be solely how good he steals a base and steal agg be how often he will try and steal. For example....I would like to give a player a 68 speed....a 99 steal(almost always makes it)....and a 10 in steal aggression(not baserunning......which would stay separate as well) which would translate to say 15-20 steals.....think Kevin McReynolds in 1988...21 steals....zero CS...he was an excellent base stealer, but wasn't prolific....and not very fast.
Nearly impossible to create as it stands now.

M.K.
Knight165
I've never seen an explanation of exactly when clutch is activated. Ive seen plenty of speculation but nothing from the devs.

I enjoyed your injury description, MMA fighter who hasn't missed a fight in 5 years. Today there is a push for the DH in the NL because the pitchers are too fragile to bat. Out of boredom I looked at the Boston Braves schedule in Babe Ruth's final season 1935. They played 35 double headers including one stretch where they played a double header 4 consecutive days. 8 games in 4 days. All of that without modern facilities, no air conditioning and no modern medical procedures. If you blew out your elbow you were finished - there was no Tommy John surgery. Those guys would be amazed at how pampered the modern ballplayers are.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #66
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
How would it work? I carry over a franchise and I have hundreds of players who don't have the new attributes. Does the game randomly assign these new attributes to my existing players, some real and some generated?

Sounds like a mess to me.

Say they add in a new injury rating. Just have it be the same as durability for carry over saves. I think most new stats could be generated this way pretty easily. Say they split out vs LHB and RHB for pitchers. Well carry over saves would just get the same rating for both vs LHB and vs RHB rating. They handled carry over saves just fine when they made other additions.

Would it be ideal? No. But it wouldn't hold back the addition to and improvement to the game's ratings. The devs have proven they can plan ahead. Maybe they do see the ratings as being complete and set in stone, but given how they make little changes and additions each year to the rest of the game I'd be surprised if that was the case.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #67
Rookie

CM1014's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N Rolla
I dont need any new attributes, as they are quite covered already.

I would like to see a progressive injury system in the game. I.e. NBA2k's system. If a player's arm or such gets injured, that injury or wear and tear remains and said area is more likely to cause reinjury. Would also like to see players gain weight over time like in NBA 2k

This would be great. If a guy returns from a hamstring injury, there might be risk in attempting stolen bases soon after he returns. You'd have to be careful to ease them back in. With pitchers, you may have them on a pitch count in their first start back from an arm injury because there would be risk of hurting him.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #68
Rookie

Jv160's Arena

I would love to see a attribute for framing pitches. Show some love to the catcher's, they're a huge part of the game.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #69
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv160
I would love to see a attribute for framing pitches. Show some love to the catcher's, they're a huge part of the game.
At this point I would take just some better animations of catchers receiving pitches, including framing pitches just off the edge. A pitch framing stat would be ideal that combined with the umpire personalities. i.e. Umpire A isn't very susceptible to framing, but umpire B is extremely susceptible and Umpire C is only susceptible to framing on the inside corner.

That would be my ideal situation, but I would just take some framing animation on the catcher's wrist/glove when they receive pitches just off the edge.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #70
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

I like most of the ideas for adding L/R splits all-around, framing, pickoffs, durability/energy/stamina, game-management, etc.

I do think there should be an added pickoff rating for catchers. Not only do the arms differ, but some catchers are very quick in their release while others have a longer motion to second or third.

Catchers should also have their blocking attribute split as well. Having been behind the plate for quite a few years, blocking pitches is two-fold. Not only should getting to the pitch be one rating, but how well they corral the errant pitch. Some catchers excel at deadening the ball right in front of them while others have to chase a few feet. This could also help in the baserunning game as runners may not be as trigger-happy to advance if a catcher can effectively corral an errant pitch.

Along with the idea of something for older players, there should be some way to factor in milestones on the decision to retire or not. Like 2K has with ratings for loyalty, money, etc, add in how important getting win 200, hit 3000, and the like for players. Can this 38 year-old, 15-year veteran pitcher handle another year of playing to get another 10 wins to hit 250 career wins?? It has been kind of hard to deal with when a player retires at 34-37 with roughly a month or two of average production to reach a major milestone.

As far as durability goes, split that into differing major joints with L/R splits as applicable. These can be somewhat static in a broader increment (A, B, C, with +/- or 20-80 by fives) but what has an impact on this rating is a combination of injury, use, and age. A catcher who logs 140+ games per year behind the plate for a large number of years is going to see a lot of wear on his knees as opposed to a spot catcher. Same goes for a pitcher who logs 220+IP over a number of seasons compared to a 40-50 appearance spot reliever with 60-70 innings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »