Home

MLB The Show 16 Instant Replay Challenge System Remains Unchanged From Last Year

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Instant Replay Challenge System Remains Unchanged From Last Year within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #49
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB The Show 16 Instant Replay Challenge System Remains Unchanged From Last Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
True. SDS will tell you that their data indicates that people skip cut scenes, etc and the feedback is that people want the game to play faster. Simple solution really...keep the OPTION to play either way in the game. No brainer really. But I think we will continue to see changes, especially online, that make for faster more streamlined gameplay.
That sounds like the easy route (and the preferred one for many of us, as there are times I like to skip and other times I don't), but storage memory has to be considered here.

I wish more developers saw data like this though, then more FPS titles would have a Legacy stick option.

Quote:
As long as us offline players can choose how we want to play, then great! Once the options disappear and the manufacturer thinks they know best on how people should play the game, then that's when the title "jumps the shark" in my opinion. I used the love the real-time feature that was in a few years ago...made the game seem so realistic.

It's all about options which SDS has been pretty good about up to now.

C
Speaking of real time, I miss what the 2K franchise started in 2K9. They went away from it, and I thought it could have been something really special. Apparently it was a no-go for them though, and they too decided to ditch it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #50
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Instant Replay Challenge System Remains Unchanged From Last Year

Well, not getting the game now. What a pity.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 01-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #51
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Personally, as far as the "no upfront fact sheet," that's fine by me. I prefer keeping things hidden. I always get to refer back to it, but the ESPN NFL Football viral marketing campaign strategy was the most fun I had for a game pre-release, besides that of ESPN NFL 2K5 when they threw out the $20 pitch. Getting everything upfront spoils what else there may be to look forward to. I think it's a great decision to go this route.

I'm guessing they also don't want to over-promise and under-deliver. There are times that bullet points on the fact sheet did not make the final version of the game for one reason or another. It's also good damage control. The second something isn't in the game based on that sheet, they are bombarded or questioned. Getting the info out weekly gets them to explain their development cycle on that part so we become more forgiving as a result, and that is perfectly okay with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
Well, not getting the game now. What a pity.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #52
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
MLB The Show 16 Instant Replay Challenge System Remains Unchanged From Last Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
True. SDS will tell you that their data indicates that people skip cut scenes, etc and the feedback is that people want the game to play faster. Simple solution really...keep the OPTION to play either way in the game. No brainer really. But I think we will continue to see changes, especially online, that make for faster more streamlined gameplay.

As long as us offline players can choose how we want to play, then great! Once the options disappear and the manufacturer thinks they know best on how people should play the game, then that's when the title "jumps the shark" in my opinion. I used the love the real-time feature that was in a few years ago...made the game seem so realistic.

It's all about options which SDS has been pretty good about up to now.

C

It's not that simple. Many features are not something you can just drop in and forget. There is normally some amount of maintenance that must be done due to various reasons. So, we have to consider if it is preferable to allocate resources to carry out this maintenance for a feature that <1 percent actually utilize or use them instead to improve features that are used/add features that are being requested...

Last edited by Woodweaver; 01-23-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
It's not that simple many features are not something you can just drop in and forget about. There is normally some amount of maintenance that must be done due to various reasons. So we have to consider if it is preferable to allocate resources to carry out this maintenance for a feature that <1 percent actually utilize, or use them instead to improve features that are used/add features that are being requested...
I am sure that is the case. I guess the fear us sim heads have is that the request for additions will continue to lean towards card collecting, equipment variations, and other ancillary parts of the game that no doubt some people want in the game. You are a business...your business is to sell as many games as you can. You have to give the market what they are asking for.

I know you try to strike a balance between requested features and tweaking the core gameplay, etc. It can't be easy. My only hope is current gameplay and animation issues remain a top priority, and that graphics get up to a nextgen level...on the playing field.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #54
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
It's not that simple many features are not something you can just drop in and forget about. There is normally some amount of maintenance that must be done due to various reasons. So we have to consider if it is preferable to allocate resources to carry out this maintenance for a feature that <1 percent actually utilize, or use them instead to improve features that are used/add features that are being requested...
While I do agree with you in theory, I don't think the data tells the whole story.

Take for example the hitting x to skip thru scenes. I am one who prefers the game to play out as close to real life as possible. I enjoy the cut scenes. I treasure my time to spend an 1 1/2 hours to play a game, even 2 hours is fine with me.

I do find myself hitting x sometimes but it honestly has nothing to do with skipping a scene. It is usually to skip the annoying( in my opinion) commentary. I get so tired of the commentary that barely a game goes by that I don't turn them off unless something big is in the works. But when I do turn them off I never hit the x button.

While your stats say that players hit the x button to play quicker games. That may not be the whole story. I love your game and will most likely always buy it. But I, personally, am not in favor of taking features out to make gameplay quicker. To me it takes away the very essence of my enjoyment of Baseball.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #55
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
While I do agree with you in theory, I don't think the data tells the whole story.

Take for example the hitting x to skip thru scenes. I am one who prefers the game to play out as close to real life as possible. I enjoy the cut scenes. I treasure my time to spend an 1 1/2 hours to play a game, even 2 hours is fine with me.

I do find myself hitting x sometimes but it honestly has nothing to do with skipping a scene. It is usually to skip the annoying( in my opinion) commentary. I get so tired of the commentary that barely a game goes by that I don't turn them off unless something big is in the works. But when I do turn them off I never hit the x button.

While your stats say that players hit the x button to play quicker games. That may not be the whole story. I love your game and will most likely always buy it. But I, personally, am not in favor of taking features out to make gameplay quicker. To me it takes away the very essence of my enjoyment of Baseball.

I understand what you are saying. We have these very same discussions and do not make these kind decisions lightly! There are other factors/input considered besides telemetrics.

Last edited by Woodweaver; 01-23-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #56
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. We have these very same discussions and do not make these kind decisions lightly! There are other factors/input considered besides telemetriics.
Thank you. I am sure there are many factors invoived, I did not mean to imply there weren't.

I was just concerned because everyone always says "you hit x to get thru the scenes to make game-play quicker" which is just not always the case. I am guilty of it as well. I will start a game when I know I have nowhere near the time to finish it comfortably, but that is one of the things I always like about this game where the options that allowed us to play the way we each wanted to play.

It is when some of these options are taken away that I think people, myself included get worried or upset. Some folks on here get stuck in "well they took out the way I like to play so I am going to rant about it all year". I was very disappointed that you all took out the full analog swing this year. But I experimented and found another way to play that I enjoyed. But do I wish the option had been left in? Sure!

I played 3 full seasons this year in 15 and I really enjoyed the game. But I ended up back in 14 because I missed the things you took out more than I enjoyed the new. That is the first time I have ever gone back to an older version once the new one has come out. For me that speaks volumes and I hope it doesn't happen this year as well.

PS Im done this isn't the thread for this but since you responded it was easier than pm or posting elsewhere

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 01-23-2016 at 01:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »