Home

This game desperately needs some excitement

This is a discussion on This game desperately needs some excitement within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: This game desperately needs some excitement

this thread is spot on, one thing for sure is the commentary, the lack of enthusiasm in the announcers play by play is one of the things that keep it from having those exciting big moments. and honestly I think its just Matt himself, I've never cared for him as a broadcaster something about his voice that just doesn't have a good baseball broadcaster sound.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
I think its just Matt himself, I've never cared for him as a broadcaster something about his voice that just doesn't have a good baseball broadcaster sound.

Thus far thus far thus far thus far...
Old 02-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
The crowds in Toronto were crazy this past season. Wish The Show could duplicate that atmosphere.
Yeah, it'd be fantastic if the crowd would throw beer at babies in The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
I agree with everything you say. But the opening sentence saying baseball is boring I completely disagree. I get what you mean by saying it. But I don't think you can call something you love boring.
Well, the word Boring is in quotes to show that I dont actually agree the sport is in itself boring. And I definitely think you can love something that you think is boring...playing Candyland with your child is one of the most BORING activities in the world, and I love absolutely every minute of it.

Let me also take the moment to say I understand this is not a quick fix or that the team doesnt care about it or isnt aware. Though I do think a shot of new or outside perspective could help a lot in the places where this game is stuck. I create games for a large gaming company, and we completely get stuck or relaxed in our ways being a group that has worked together for a long time. We have to actively seek and bring in new perspectives to point out and help with spots that are becoming stale. (and I do see they achieve this in some way by listening to the forums, but this is predominately a forum of fans who love the game and respect the team)

With that said...and with my own ignorance to the process....It seems that a focus on adding animations (tension, excitement, emotion, etc) and a BIG focus on crowd audio (the away team crowd was cheering my double last night), and some sort of extra time taken in those big moments (cut scenes, building drama, and definitely additional camera cuts and replay angles for the BIG hit, the big run, the big K, etc)

Someone else pointed out too the slowness of camera cuts and replays. I agree. These could easily be speed up to create more energy. Something simple as well would be to flip the cut scene of the player and the replay they sometimes show....put the replay first, cut scene after, since the cut scene is often so slow and repetitive its easy to x through it and then miss the replay.

Get rid of ALL "floating camera" cut scenes and replays...the ones that have been in there for years and take away from the broadcast feel of the game.

And one last thing, thats a bit of topic....the pitching animations. You can tell that a lot of them were motion captured with people not actually holding or throwing a ball. So they looks like this sort of dead armed, whip animation...like someone miming what throwing a ball should look like. It takes away from the feeling of "danger" or intensity that this guy is throwing a rock hard object at you around 90mph.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'm... not sure I'm ok with that. I was at game 5 of the ALDS, and when people started throwing stuff on the field, all I could think was how embarrassed I was to be associated with that group of people.

Duplicate the noise, yes, and the passion of the crowd. Just not the disrespect for the game those (all to many) few showed. Made me sick to my stomach.
I feel the same way when some drunk jack*** at Wrigley throws his beer in the outfield bleachers. Security has gotten much better about preventing that, and ejecting fans that do it. 20 years ago any time things got rowdy with a bad umpire call, or a Cubs player getting beaned, etc., the warning track would get littered with beers and there would be a 10 minute delay while the grounds crew cleaned up the trash. Thank goodness that doesn't happen anymore. Still get an occasional idiot who thinks it is funny to create a beer shower, though.

Last edited by HypoLuxa13; 02-05-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
Rookie

The cut scenes need to go...bring back "real time broadcast". Why did they take that out?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgames
The cut scenes need to go...bring back "real time broadcast". Why did they take that out?
It's still there. The Show has used both since introducing RTP.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #16
Pro

Herschie's Arena

Good topic. Also they need to add something to when you get eliminated from the playoffs. When I was 8, I remember I was crying buckets after Steve Bedrosian got Ryne Sandberg to ground out to knock the Cubs out of the playoffs. In The Show, you spent all that time and effort, and then when you come up short in October, it'd be nice seeing things like this:

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »