Home

Bullpen and Manager Logic needs to be smarter!!

This is a discussion on Bullpen and Manager Logic needs to be smarter!! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #17
Rookie

ralphus8's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Bullpen and Manager Logic needs to be smarter!!

I have a completely different experience, but I'm mostly playing RTTS. Managers leave pitchers in the game way too long after they should have been pulled -- either due to pitch count or performance. I've had games where the manager was perfectly fine with a reliever walking the bases loaded, then walking in two runs because our team was up by 5 or 6 runs in the 7th inning. I had one game where we were up big (I think it was 14-1) and the manager seemed to be trying to give the starter a complete game -- pitch count was up to 180 at the end of the game. The opposing team was hitting at will against this guy in the 8th inning and they almost pulled off a comeback win.

It's also frustrating when your team is holding a lead late and the manager just seems to not have any grasp on the situation. I had a game recently where we were up by a couple of runs late in the game against the Marlins, there were runners on second and third with two out and Giancarlo Stanton is coming to the plate. The first thing I scream at the TV is "walk him!" He gets into a 2-0 count and the next pitch is going to be a fastball and I'm like "well, this game is at least tied -_-" and, sure enough, he doubles to LF. All the mistakes the manager made off the top of my head:

Had a left hand reliever on the mound to face him.
Had a chance to take the bat out of his hand and didn't.
Pitched to him after falling behind 2-0 in the count.
Failed to recognize that the next batter up was Marcell Ozuna who was in the midst of a terrible slump, which would have setup a force out at any base.

Somehow we win these games in spite of the manager. So this is an area that could use some improvement, in my opinion. If nothing else, it makes me appreciate having Manager Mode in Franchise that much more.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

OVR: 0

During the stream today they mentioned manager/team tendancies so hopefully this will include bullpen logic as well.
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #19
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
During the stream today they mentioned manager/team tendancies so hopefully this will include bullpen logic as well.
Same here really hoping this new feature will help improve the bullpen logic.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
In manage mode - default sliders - I'm not seeing what your are reporting.

Sometimes with a big lead the CPU will leave the starter in the game to throw 130 or so pitches which few modern era managers.
That's been an issue with the CPU for years. I can recall a CPU vs CPU game where Zack Greinke had an 8 run lead and the CPU left him in for over 150 pitches and nearly coughed up the lead giving up 6 runs in the 9th. Even the commentary was questioning the CPU manager's choice of leaving him in.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:56 AM   #21
Banned

Beatles's Arena

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

This does not happen to me at all. In fact I have had starters throw a complete game against me and only pull their pitcher when neccessary. I play on All Star Default Rosters.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeguy
This does not happen to me at all. In fact I have had starters throw a complete game against me and only pull their pitcher when neccessary. I play on All Star Default Rosters.
OP wasn't in franchise mode. I cut him some slack because I figured he was a kid.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #24
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

I know this isn't what you guys are talking but, but I thought I'd chime in because kind-sorta along the same lines, but I wished they'd finally fix how the CPU teams use closers. Now, I don't play out full franchise games, so I don't know if it's different in-game, but when playing RTTS and looking via the sim engine, closer logic is terribly flawed. You consistently see closers with more saves than innings pitched. A result of 1) never being used in non-save situations and 2)many one or two out saves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »