Home

Please eliminate "bunt dancing" from online play.

This is a discussion on Please eliminate "bunt dancing" from online play. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Rookie

NBAGreen's Arena

OVR: 2
Please eliminate "bunt dancing" from online play.

Players will constantly look at the position of the infielders using the third person view while quickly alternating between being squared up to bunt and back in a normal hitting stance. It looks like the hitter is twitching. Along with bunt and steal cheesing, this is one of the most annoying online cheese tactics.

There is a discussion about this at the MLB The Show Reddit page:
Reddit discussion

Here is a Youtube video that shows "bunt dancing":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqu34Y3cq_k

Last edited by NBAGreen; 02-15-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Changed Youtube link to the correct video. Embedded video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Please eliminate "bunt dancing" from online play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAGreen
PS: How can I embed this as a video and not a link?
To embed as a video, just go to where it says "Share" (under the title of the video on youtube), and then go over to "Embed", and copy that text there, and paste it.

That's it.

Also, the bunt dancing is annoying, looks silly, but probably something we're just going to have to deal with with it being online play.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Although I'll grant that this is silly, I'm not sure it qualifies as "cheese" if there's no actual effect on the game from it (other than annoying the other player). That's kind of exaggerating the problem.

If it caused the corner IF's to charge as though they were expecting a bunt that's one thing, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Rookie

NBAGreen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Although I'll grant that this is silly, I'm not sure it qualifies as "cheese" if there's no actual effect on the game from it (other than annoying the other player). That's kind of exaggerating the problem.

If it caused the corner IF's to charge as though they were expecting a bunt that's one thing, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen?
"Bunt dance" cheesers are not necessarily bunt cheesers. They will do this using every batter and may never actually bunt. Allowing the hitter to constantly change from bunt stance to normal hitting stance is somewhat annoying. However, allowing the batter to combine R3 with a direction selection to make the screen shake is terrible.

My guess is that it doesn't affect fielder AI.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0

pitching to that is annoying as well, but since you have to focus on the bar whether its the meter bar or the analog bar or even the pulse for pulse pitching the bunt dance kind of throws you off when trying to focus on said bars.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I feel this was a legitimate cheese when doing bunt dancing used to cause the network connection hiccups, to throw off timing on meter/analog/pulse inputs.

Since the new online implementation a couple years ago, however, doing bunt dancing hasn't caused as much network issues (though I would still say it sometimes do). This hasn't bothered me as much because of it.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAGreen
"Bunt dance" cheesers are not necessarily bunt cheesers. They will do this using every batter and may never actually bunt. Allowing the hitter to constantly change from bunt stance to normal hitting stance is somewhat annoying. However, allowing the batter to combine R3 with a direction selection to make the screen shake is terrible.

My guess is that it doesn't affect fielder AI.
This might be an effect of offline/online differences.

Forgive me as I have never played an online game but when I'm offline I can view the corners to see where they are playing and never got the impression that my batter was squaring around. I could do this as long as I needed though and it would prevent the CPU from pitching.

Is this maybe a band aid between the differences of the two modes? If your opponent is view the corners are you able to pitch or are you prevented from doing so?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Rookie

NBAGreen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
This might be an effect of offline/online differences.

Forgive me as I have never played an online game but when I'm offline I can view the corners to see where they are playing and never got the impression that my batter was squaring around. I could do this as long as I needed though and it would prevent the CPU from pitching.

Is this maybe a band aid between the differences of the two modes? If your opponent is view the corners are you able to pitch or are you prevented from doing so?
The bold part is true online as well.

I don't understand your first question.

You cannot pitch when your online opponent is viewing the corners. While your opponent views the corners, you are seeing the same screen as your opponent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »