Home

Players Not Going After Balls

This is a discussion on Players Not Going After Balls within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
Players Not Going After Balls

I play with automatic fielding on and one of the things that upsets me is on field dribblers the pitcher and the catcher both freeze until the baserunner is at least halfway down the line before one of them finally decides to go after the ball and most times the runner ends up safe because of it. It's really annoying. My question is, does anyone (maybe Ramone can weigh in) on if this issue has been fixed in 2016's game?
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Players Not Going After Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
I play with automatic fielding on and one of the things that upsets me is on field dribblers the pitcher and the catcher both freeze until the baserunner is at least halfway down the line before one of them finally decides to go after the ball and most times the runner ends up safe because of it. It's really annoying. My question is, does anyone (maybe Ramone can weigh in) on if this issue has been fixed in 2016's game?
There are a few IF problems like that in the past. eg I always play 1B as a created player in Franchise, and noticed this in RTTS also...on a grounder, the infielder always waits until I am actually at 1b, foot on bag, before he throws it to me. I've seen many players be safe who should have been easy outs due to this

I hope they fix that too. But doubt it, been that way forever.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I think the OP is talking about a play like this:

Hopefully it's one of the fielding AI improvement items that the devs have always been working.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yes I have seen much of that same thing as in the video you show.

I have also noticed in MLB15, not sure about earlier versions--I dont recall seeing this until last year--, but the catcher doing nothing to pursue a foul popup behind the plate, or near the dugout etc. Some of them are easily catchable too, but even in real life, they always at least get up and generally make a go for it. In mlb15 they just stay in their haunched position and do nothing. Yes often they do what they should and catch it, but way too often they haunch and stare at it.

Bunts down the line, catcher sits like a frozen statue or he and the pitcher take too long to react. Just like the infielders I talked about as a first baseman. They field the ball and stand there like a statue until i get to the base, instead of throwing to the base as I am heading toward it. Result: safe when there is no doubt in my mind that the throw was way late on a very routine grounder

I puzzle how the programmers who are so obviously so well informed about the game, see this stuff, but do nothing about it. Not trying to slam them, I have tremendous respect and admiration for them.

I am just baffled, that's all. They must see this stuff, why don't they fix it?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

OVR: 0

Hm. I have the opposite problem; the catcher and pitcher always seem to react immediately.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

I think the delay was sort of a solution to slow the reaction of the catcher. It just made the situation more awkward.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
Hm. I have the opposite problem; the catcher and pitcher always seem to react immediately.
This also happens too. It's been a see-saw game of tipping the game toward one or another. MLB 15, I think slow reaction (or hiccup) was more of an issue (contributing to a higher bunt/squeeze success rate).

But a couple years ago, people tend to find more issues in how the catcher just jump right out of the box to handle the chopper like a cat going after a treat.

Part of the reason I remember the devs mentioned was that the catcher didn't have as much a variety in fielding animations to use for that kind of play. I suppose it's a similar reason why turning X-2-3 double play has been almost impossible... but the devs said they've worked on that specific play.

Hopefully the catcher now has that sort of variety on fielding choppers around the plate/wild pitches.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 0

I don't know it for a fact but I always figured the reaction time of the catcher was based upon the reaction fielding attribute.

The visual may be frustrating to watch but perhaps the outcome is correct.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »