Home

What do you hope to see in Thursdays stream?

This is a discussion on What do you hope to see in Thursdays stream? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #57
Rookie

Kalkano's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: What do you hope to see in Thursdays stream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
No zombies walking down and up stairs right behind home plate. For 10 stairs it looks like they are climbing 100. Ugh.

And clipping through people while they walk to the very bottom of the stairs, only to remember that their seats are at the very top.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #58
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkano
For someone who likes to watch CPU vs CPU, this would be great.
In terms of presentation it's one of the two things I keep hoping for each year. That and catcher pitch framing.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...postcount=1161

There's a post I made last year (also made one the year before) with some clips from Pro Yakyuu which has the delay, although a fade out/in instead of a hard cut like US broadcasts. Ever since I saw Pro Yakyuu do it years ago I've been hoping for something like this in The Show. Even if it was only for "broadcast" presentation and had some extra fielding assist. It's the one defining part of a TV broadcast to me, the center field camera and how the cut from that to in-the-field action. Without the sort of random human element the game will never really look like a broadcast to me. It gets closer and closer, but since it's a set AI controlling the broadcast there isn't any room for the "human" element of broadcasts to come through, unless you program the AI to better mimic the sort of random elements that humans bring to broadcasts.

If pitch framing get's added and it looks good. And a delay after contact when in broadcast view, the presentation will be complete for me.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #59
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
In terms of presentation it's one of the two things I keep hoping for each year. That and catcher pitch framing.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...postcount=1161

There's a post I made last year (also made one the year before) with some clips from Pro Yakyuu which has the delay, although a fade out/in instead of a hard cut like US broadcasts. Ever since I saw Pro Yakyuu do it years ago I've been hoping for something like this in The Show. Even if it was only for "broadcast" presentation and had some extra fielding assist. It's the one defining part of a TV broadcast to me, the center field camera and how the cut from that to in-the-field action. Without the sort of random human element the game will never really look like a broadcast to me. It gets closer and closer, but since it's a set AI controlling the broadcast there isn't any room for the "human" element of broadcasts to come through, unless you program the AI to better mimic the sort of random elements that humans bring to broadcasts.

If pitch framing get's added and it looks good. And a delay after contact when in broadcast view, the presentation will be complete for me.

I think a very slight delay has been introduced a couple iterations ago... it's not as drastic and certainly not for the same effect as PYS offers, but we can see where the ball goes off the bat. IIRC, The Show used to switch from pitching/hitting cam to fielding right upon contact.

PYS seems considerably slower than real-life, so I am not sure what you desire is feasible in The Show while keeping things at real-life speed.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #60
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm curious to see if the postgame presentation has changed. Hopefully it's been updated after being the same for the last few years.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:37 AM   #61
Rookie

Yankee Stadium™ @ night
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #62
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think a very slight delay has been introduced a couple iterations ago... it's not as drastic and certainly not for the same effect as PYS offers, but we can see where the ball goes off the bat. IIRC, The Show used to switch from pitching/hitting cam to fielding right upon contact.

PYS seems considerably slower than real-life, so I am not sure what you desire is feasible in The Show while keeping things at real-life speed.
Here is an example for MLB 15: https://youtu.be/P9j2qqGk-es?t=27m6s

And here's a ground ball example from a broadcast: https://youtu.be/ZDMppulTnjo?t=35s

I'm not asking for that much of a delay, it may be unrealistic without complete automatic fielding, but long enough to see part of the batter's follow through might be enough to get the effect. Like I said I'd be more than willing to sacrifice some fielder control, in fact I wouldn't mind that in any fielding camera. I'd like for the ratings to play more of a role in user fielding. The example from MLB 15 cuts so fast it's almost as if it cuts before contact was made.

There is a slight delay I believe when you are batting in certain views, but I haven't noticed a delay when pitching in broadcast view.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 02-24-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:59 AM   #63
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentlaw13
I'm curious to see if the postgame presentation has changed. Hopefully it's been updated after being the same for the last few years.

I hope the mic gets some PBR love
Old 02-24-2016, 03:16 AM   #64
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Here is an example for MLB 15: https://youtu.be/P9j2qqGk-es?t=27m6s

And here's a ground ball example from a broadcast: https://youtu.be/ZDMppulTnjo?t=35s

I'm not asking for that much of a delay, it may be unrealistic without complete automatic fielding, but long enough to see part of the batter's follow through might be enough to get the effect. Like I said I'd be more than willing to sacrifice some fielder control, in fact I wouldn't mind that in any fielding camera. I'd like for the ratings to play more of a role in user fielding. The example from MLB 15 cuts so fast it's almost as if it cuts before contact was made.

There is a slight delay I believe when you are batting in certain views, but I haven't noticed a delay when pitching in broadcast view.
Hmm, I see... it looks like whether you see a slight delay appears to also depends on the game mode and/or the camera setting. I watch a lot of CPU vs. CPU games and I do see a slight delay in transition in that mode. I think the real reason why there is a delay in real-life broadcast, though, is because switching of camera needs to be done manually and human reaction isn't fast enough.

But I do tend to agree that instantaneous switch of cameras feels a bit too mechanical. Yet at the same time I don't necessarily want the delay to involve a tiny rewinding, to make fielding easier; that doesn't feel realistic either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »