Home

How is WAR calculated in The Show?

This is a discussion on How is WAR calculated in The Show? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:32 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 7
How is WAR calculated in The Show?

I was very excited to see WAR shown in The Show. However, as anyone who is somewhat sabermetrically inclined knows, the two calculations of WAR are bWAR (baseball reference, sometimes also called rWAR) and fWAR (Fangraphs).

Most everyone would agree fWAR tends to be more accurate. So I was hoping The Show would adopt fWAR, not bWAR.....however...

After pausing a video from The Show, I took a look at Joe Mauer's WAR. The totals The Show has for Mauer's career are neither bWAR nor fWAR. Hmmm. They are close in most years, but still not either of them.

I'm just curious where the calculation came from.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How is WAR calculated in The Show?

Since the Show will not keep track of all the stats that encompass war, I assume they use the stats they do track. Which, judging solely by the David Ortiz screen, will be close enough to accurate that the difference is negligible IMO.
#44Syracuse
Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 AM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

My wild guess is that The Show will be using stats that can be relatively easily tracked/computed from what the game has been tracking for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if the defensive component, for example, is entirely derived from something like fielding percentage and range factor (or attribute ratings themselves), which can be entirely computed from traditional/baseball card stats like PO, A, INN, etc.

MLB 15 and prior releases have had so-called extended/sabermetric stats, but all of them are of that kind... stats that can be computed from traditional stats. That's likely why the game could do it even in PS3 days, as it does not have to store anything extra on memory/disk.

It would be better if something more rigorous and meaningful is done if the game goes sabermetric route at all, but for now I'm just happy the yearly stat tracking appears to have gotten in, finally. I would've taken that alone if doing rigorous WAR takes away significant development resource away from getting in other features.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #4

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

There are already several threads on this, please keep the discussion there.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »