Home

Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?

This is a discussion on Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?
Yes 50 33.78%
No 98 66.22%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #73
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I think it's about 70% of OS showing that they utilize true to life pitching fundamentals when they play the show.

It's not a "claim" but rather a fact. That's why the majority voted "No". I don't know where you get 90% from *shrugs*. I have always been curious about this and wanted to finally ask the question to see what the majority does.

What do you mean "people like this"?

To your hypothetical point: intentionally throwing pitches in the dirt in an effort to get hitters to chase is a core pitching concept. Pitchers are taught to miss down with their off speed and will often "bury" their pitches. Let's say you're ahead 0-2 in the count...heck yea bury that slider in the dirt and try to get the strikeout. That's a part of baseball.

Intentionally throwing pitches in the dirt is a part of baseball and I would never say otherwise, nor would anybody who understands the game of baseball.
I guess I don't get the point then. I don't throw a lot of high offspeed pitches because if someone is looking for them they get hammered. I do mix some in very occasionally (mainly sliders inside) so the hitter can't just lock in to what I'm trying to do. That wouldn't be good pitching.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #74
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
No, only happens if I miss my spot. In real life, high off speed pitches get hit a long way.

thats right, i feel in MLB the show, a high changeup works too well...against the AI batters. like if you tossed 2 FB low and are in a 0-2 or 1-2 count... then you break out a changeup and set it high... you get frozen batters, all kinds of stuff in your favor. it should maybe be only the 9 hitter but, no.

a high changeup should be a mistake as it is in real life. not always a HR but a real life pro batter can still get around it even if fooled.. just because it's a high changeup, IMHO
Old 03-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think it's just that because of the camera angle often used in the game, high fast ball and high changeup are very difficult to distinguish right after pitch release (because they travel relatively little out of line of sight), and the in-game pitcher delivery/pitch release is always consistent that the game doesn't offer enough to tip off pitch types that real-life batter could take advantage of. That likely makes high changeup more effective in the game than in real life.

However, real-life pitchers (though probably not by intention) also end up leaving/hanging chageups high in the strike zone more often than we think.
totally... in real life the pitcher mostly aims for the 7-8-9 spots on the dialpad of the strike zone, no? in the show, i've tried the 1-2-3 spots deliberately and it's allowed me to 'mix it up' real well game wide.. for generations of the show... unfortunately. so it feels unrealistic to me specifically with pitching the changeup to the AI.

conversely i think, a low pitched change up should be programmed to fool the AI better.. a changeup, unlike a FB, is not a all strike zone pitch. changeup needs to be even a out of strike zone pitch... in the dirt, etc.

a real life pitcher aims at 7-8-9, laways low.. the MISSES go up to 1-6.
high in the zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #76
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Old 03-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #77
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Thank you for voting! I am pleased to see the results reflect OS as a community where the majority stays true to baseball. The results show me that 30% of OS plays video game baseball and 70% play baseball.

If you voted "Yes", then you probably play more online. It's what I've seen in online play. It's what I expect if I were to play online ever again (I won't). It's about playing the video game and disregarding true baseball philosophies.

If you voted "No", you understand that not a single pitcher on the face of the planet intentionally throws an off speed pitch up in the zone. I'm going to assume you love the game of baseball and offline play is where you spend most, if not all, of your gaming time.

*I will conceded that knuckle balls are a different animal. You are just trying to throw them for strikes IRL. I never had one in my repertoire nor did I know anybody who did. I still feel confident any pitcher throwing a knuckle would prefer it be lower in the strike zone.
I must've misunderstand the poll question. I was thinking I start a curveball higher for it to drop and at first glance voted yes because I thought that's what it meant! I can tell by the poll numbers, this wasn't true LOL

Online you see a ton of curves that drop to top corners and THAT is unrealistic so I am changing my vote here, since I cannot up there and DO NOT wanna seem like I don't play sim baseball, because dangit, I do!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #78
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Only a Knuckleball, the rare times I use a knuckleballer. Because you have to move that thing around. and Dickey's Fastball is slower than some guys changeups.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #79
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

No I don't. Can't stand when the CPU does it to me. And don't even get me started on the umps calling strikes for that BS.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #80
Rookie

Balla Da Le Playa's Arena

OVR: 0

is a sinker a off speed breaking pitch? can they be thrown comfortably up?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »