Home

Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?

This is a discussion on Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?
Yes 50 33.78%
No 98 66.22%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #57
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?

Cut ND some slack....
He had to direct traffic yesterday!(off topic thread...or maybe gear grinder?)
Those crazy motorists probably reminded him of online players!!!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #58
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
But I don't really find that to be true in real life either.

It's true that hanging a breaking ball high often leads to disaster. However, this tends to skew the statistics and perceptions for breaking balls in general: All hung breaking balls are high, but not all high breaking balls are hung. A properly executed breaking ball high in the zone can be devastating in real life baseball.

Many pitchers make a living throwing junk high in the zone, from Matt Cain, to Tyler Clippard, to Chris Young.

Not sure why someone would say it isn't real baseball. It literally is.

The gifs showed change ups belt high. So basically due to his arm slot he starts his change where he typically throws his fastball as a way for deception. The key is making the pitches look similar when released.

At the end of the day his "up in the zone" is referencing that he throws them for a strike near belt high. Based on his extraordinarily high release point he's able to get away with being more in the zone than most.

He still doesn't go for the top of the zone. If he does show me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #59

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Yeah... I won't say it can't work, but I also can't think of pitchers who ever threw over-the-top cureveballs high in the zone (on purpose). So I don't really disagree with you too much.

I think something like a slider could work, or a slurve, or a curve from a side-arm guy, since all three of those effectively move away from the strike zone anyway... And if a pitch is not in the strike zone, it really doesn't matter what height you throw it at... but I digress.

This thread, and the tangent I was responding to between ND, Speedy, and co, are both about off speed pitches in general, so changeups are mainly what I had in mind. I just want to dispel the notion that throwing off speed pitches high in the zone is exclusive to video games.
I think for the most part we are on the same page.

I think part of the difference between us is result vs. intent.

I would never argue that a breaking ball up can't EVER be effective and I don't even think ND would disagree with that.

But it's more to the fact that most pitchers would never intend to throw a high breaking ball.

One of my most memorable strikeouts in college was actually in a fall (exhibition) game against a middle of the lineup hitter from Bucknell (D1 when I was in D3) when I accidentally threw a high slurve (as the Show defines it) instead of my intention which was to start it low and have it break outside).
Old 02-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #60
ND

NDAlum's Arena

Quote:
Yeah... I won't say it can't work, but I also can't think of pitchers who ever threw over-the-top cureveballs high in the zone (on purpose). So I don't really disagree with you too much.

I think something like a slider could work, or a slurve, or a curve from a side-arm guy, since all three of those effectively move away from the strike zone anyway... And if a pitch is not in the strike zone, it really doesn't matter what height you throw it at... but I digress.

This thread, and the tangent I was responding to between ND, Speedy, and co, are both about off speed pitches in general, so changeups are mainly what I had in mind. I just want to dispel the notion that throwing off speed pitches high in the zone is exclusive to video games.

I'm talking about above the belt high. Like you're trying to sneak in an off speed at the top of the strike zone which I have seen in The Show very often.

The game lets you get away with it because it only has one pitching delivery per guy. It doesn't hangs based on the pitch and placement. Release points are huge and consistency with release point is crucial to a pitchers success. It's about deception. This game doesn't mimic that at all. It's one release point no matter what.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #61
ND

NDAlum's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I think for the most part we are on the same page.

I think part of the difference between us is result vs. intent.

I would never argue that a breaking ball up can't EVER be effective and I don't even think ND would disagree with that.

But it's more to the fact that most pitchers would never intend to throw a high breaking ball.

One of my most memorable strikeouts in college was actually in a fall (exhibition) game against a middle of the lineup hitter from Bucknell (D1 when I was in D3) when I accidentally threw a high slurve (as the Show defines it) instead of my intention which was to start it low and have it break outside).

Have I gotten lucky in my life with off speed pitches I hung? Heck yea. My best pitch in college was a split change that I threw in the strike zone. I hung a few and it got ripped some but it also fooled a couple guys and some whiffed. It's baseball where the best players get hits 30-35% of the time.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #62
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

This thread is ridiculous lol.

When I play offline I never throw high offspeed.

However, I mainly play online and I like to think I play pretty sim and realistic (ask nomo or old boy). I see pitches, mix up my tendencies and attack my opponents' weakness. If you are facing guys that can hit high heat then you have to mix it up. If you pitch like a robot (only offspeed low and fastballs inside) then you will lose to most competent players. Now if I face a guy who cannot turn on a fastball then why would I throw anything else? I can argue it is not realistic to only be a push hitter/low ball hitter and I guarantee most players online are just that.

Heck Id even argue if you pitch like a robot or cookie cutterish how is that even fun? Be innovative and try different approaches, especially against great hitters.

To each their own, but trying to passively aggressive insult players who think outside the box a bit is ridiculous, especially when playing online against real people not the AI.

Besides alot of pitches are left high in the strike zone and often fool batters especially breaking balls.

This is coming from someone who only runs plays in NBA and works the count in MLB as good as anyone, so the generalization that 30 pct of us are not playing realistic baseball is not true.

Besides out of the 70 pct how many of them play online?

Youtube
Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #63
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I think a better poll is who throws a pitch in the strike zone before the are down 3-0....? Not this guy.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #64
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

This thread is just a bunch of people patting themselves on the back for doing things they claim to be 'sim'. Oh brother. You're entitled to play the game how you want, but that kind of attitude is pretty bothersome. You're looking down on 90% of the people that play this game, condescending much? How about you just get over yourselves and play the game, or don't. People will play regardless.

Another thing people like this will do is say if you throw pitches in the dirt that you aren't 'sim'. Abusing it sure, but it's the batters job to lay off and it really isn't that hard this day in age.

Last edited by redsfan4life; 02-25-2016 at 10:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »