Home

MLB: The Show 16 Strike Zone

This is a discussion on MLB: The Show 16 Strike Zone within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB: The Show 16 Strike Zone

20 unique umpires is a good start but hopefully by Show 18, that number will be upwards of 60, with the ability to rename them as well.
#44Syracuse
Old 02-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 20

"20 unique umpires " - does this mean 20 different voices for ups too? Because that would kick all kinds of tail. As it stands seems like there's only 2 or 3.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #11
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Clyde Washington is still in, lol.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

YouTube

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin82485
What I mean is that it seems as though in previous years if the ball was on the border, then over 50% of the ball had to be in the strike zone in order for it to be called a strike. This is with balls and strikes set to 100% accuracy.

Now, I'm no rules expert, but I feel as though I have a very good understanding of the rule book. If any portion of ball, even if it's a 1/16th of an inch, touches the border of the strike zone, then it is a strike.
I honestly had never noticed this!
Old 02-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
Rookie

Aweb20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin82485
I'm excited for MLB: The Show 16, and I'm curious if there has been any mention of any changes to the strike zone.

What I mean is that it seems as though in previous years if the ball was on the border, then over 50% of the ball had to be in the strike zone in order for it to be called a strike. This is with balls and strikes set to 100% accuracy.

Now, I'm no rules expert, but I feel as though I have a very good understanding of the rule book. If any portion of ball, even if it's a 1/16th of an inch, touches the border of the strike zone, then it is a strike.

As someone who is a MLB 2K convert where all border pitches were called strikes, this is one area of the game that has really annoyed me over the years. I feel like it shrinks the strike zone and makes pitching on the border too much of a challenge.

Maybe it is just the way that the strike zone is depicted that makes it confusing or I am misunderstanding something. Perhaps the new umpiring system will help with this?
I think that is just the way the strike zone is depicted in The Show. It has always bothered me too. I think strike zone you see in game is a larger rectangle than what an actual strike zone is, and therefore if the ball is 50/50 it is equal to the ball barely touching the "real-life sized" zone. I think in the end it plays out the same, but I wouldn't mind a change to make it depicted like it should be.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #14
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aweb20
I think that is just the way the strike zone is depicted in The Show. It has always bothered me too. I think strike zone you see in game is a larger rectangle than what an actual strike zone is, and therefore if the ball is 50/50 it is equal to the ball barely touching the "real-life sized" zone. I think in the end it plays out the same, but I wouldn't mind a change to make it depicted like it should be.
The strike zone in the show is per the MLB rules. This issue is that zone is not actually called in the real MLB. I think we may see a more realistic zone called this year with the different umps.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #15
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
The strike zone in the show is per the MLB rules. This issue is that zone is not actually called in the real MLB. I think we may see a more realistic zone called this year with the different umps.
I think it's the devs only way to really get a more realistic zone in the game. We saw a few examples during the streams. One was an up and in pitch, in the zone, but called a ball and they had commentary lined to say "It's a strike, but you rarely get that call." So they are aware it's an issue, especially up in the zone, but I think the umpire personalities will help a bit. Hopefully most have the tendency to call high strikes balls instead of the other way around. I feel the data shows that umpires who call high strikes are in the minority.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #16
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I think it's the devs only way to really get a more realistic zone in the game. We saw a few examples during the streams. One was an up and in pitch, in the zone, but called a ball and they had commentary lined to say "It's a strike, but you rarely get that call." So they are aware it's an issue, especially up in the zone, but I think the umpire personalities will help a bit. Hopefully most have the tendency to call high strikes balls instead of the other way around. I feel the data shows that umpires who call high strikes are in the minority.
That was one of the things I discussed with them was cutting down on high pitches that were technically within the rules "strike zone" but really needed to be called a ball more often than not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »