Home

MLB: The Show 16 Strike Zone

This is a discussion on MLB: The Show 16 Strike Zone within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
Rookie

Kevin82485's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm excited for MLB: The Show 16, and I'm curious if there has been any mention of any changes to the strike zone.

What I mean is that it seems as though in previous years if the ball was on the border, then over 50% of the ball had to be in the strike zone in order for it to be called a strike. This is with balls and strikes set to 100% accuracy.

Now, I'm no rules expert, but I feel as though I have a very good understanding of the rule book. If any portion of ball, even if it's a 1/16th of an inch, touches the border of the strike zone, then it is a strike.

As someone who is a MLB 2K convert where all border pitches were called strikes, this is one area of the game that has really annoyed me over the years. I feel like it shrinks the strike zone and makes pitching on the border too much of a challenge.

Maybe it is just the way that the strike zone is depicted that makes it confusing or I am misunderstanding something. Perhaps the new umpiring system will help with this?
Wisconsin Badgers

XBL: TheJudge24
PSN: UntalentedTalent

Last edited by Kevin82485; 02-27-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: MLB: The Show 16 Strike Zone

I believe there is a setting for it. By default, it's setup so that umpires miss calls.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

This is where umpire bais is going to play a large role this year. I am expecting a very dynamic strike zone interpretation from umpire to umpire. The main key for me will be how consistent he will be with his bias through the course of the game.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Well, whatever you do, DON'T throw off-speed pitches up in that zone.
#44Syracuse
Old 02-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

Wonder if we will get an early peek at the umpire's names...might need to get a head start on practicing my jeers and making sure I pronounce their names correctly when I curse at them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentlaw13
Wonder if we will get an early peek at the umpire's names...might need to get a head start on practicing my jeers and making sure I pronounce their names correctly when I curse at them
I'm fairly sure it's the same names that have been in the Show all this time. I know the ump they featured in the presentation stream, Woody Keller, has been in the Show forever. It's funny, because I already thought unique umpire personalities were in the game, just because I remember Woody Keller specifically. It always seemed to me whenever he was calling the game, consistency went out the window.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'm fairly sure it's the same names that have been in the Show all this time. I know the ump they featured in the presentation stream, Woody Keller, has been in the Show forever. It's funny, because I already thought unique umpire personalities were in the game, just because I remember Woody Keller specifically. It always seemed to me whenever he was calling the game, consistency went out the window.

Yeah I believe it is some of the same ones but they are introducing new ones as well. I forgot the total number of new ones but it's a pretty good variety of new umps with different tendencies/biases.

http://i2.wp.com/diamondhoggers.com/...SdW4AEqYM-.jpg

Last edited by agentlaw13; 02-27-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
Rookie

citybythebay85's Arena

There will be 20 different umpires each with their own biases and tendencies. Some will probably be more accurate than others. But they might also let you turn their personalities off and make all calls the same like they have in previous games, I'm not sure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »