Home

Directional hitting tips/results

This is a discussion on Directional hitting tips/results within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15
Directional hitting tips/results

Hey guys. I admit I'm way late to the directional hitting option. I recently started reading a little about and I'm now intrigued. I've played the show since the beginning, but something about zone hitting has always felt a little off. I actually really liked it in mlb 13, I thought I was done the best this year. Since playing 15 on the ps4 id never tried directional hitting. For the past week or so I've dabbled in it. I like how it reminds me of mvp 05. I'm curious what you guys have seen as far as results and numbers generated in a season by individual players. I like the idea of attributes having a larger effect in the outcomes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Directional hitting tips/results

I like it just not as much as Zone. I actually preferred the old implementation 3+ years ago of it when you could influence an at-bat on the fly to a certain direction while still using Zone hitting rather than making it only a hitting mode. It is really rewarding in those situation when you are trying to hit the ball to the right side to advance a runner and situations like that, but I still prefer Zone so that my at-bats are more than just timing.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 02-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

I think it will be interesting to see how both Zone and Directional behave in MLB 16 with the new Precision Input changes. I've switched between Zone and Directional in MLB 15, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Theoretically, in MLB 16 the user input will have more control on the outcome than previously. Which I think is good. For directional, better timing means better results than you got in 15. But worse timing means worse results than 15. Maybe the better the hitter, the wider the timing window for good timing. So it will be harder to get GOOD timing with David Ross than it will be with Anthony Rizzo. But getting GOOD timing will produce more predictable results than in MLB 15, where you could time it perfectly but still pop it up or foul it back (which is still fine, as perfect timing doesn't always yield perfect contact in real life)

This is just speculation. Until we get our hands on the game, we don't really know how it will change in 16.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
I think it will be interesting to see how both Zone and Directional behave in MLB 16 with the new Precision Input changes. I've switched between Zone and Directional in MLB 15, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Theoretically, in MLB 16 the user input will have more control on the outcome than previously. Which I think is good. For directional, better timing means better results than you got in 15. But worse timing means worse results than 15. Maybe the better the hitter, the wider the timing window for good timing. So it will be harder to get GOOD timing with David Ross than it will be with Anthony Rizzo. But getting GOOD timing will produce more predictable results than in MLB 15, where you could time it perfectly but still pop it up or foul it back (which is still fine, as perfect timing doesn't always yield perfect contact in real life)

This is just speculation. Until we get our hands on the game, we don't really know how it will change in 16.
Can we still use directional as the old timing style if we don't choose a direction? I assume we can but I haven't really heard anyone say.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 02-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
Can we still use directional as the old timing style if we don't choose a direction? I assume we can but I haven't really heard anyone say.
Yep, don't touch the L stick and it functions just like the old Timing hitting interface.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

Yeah, Ive been a zone hitter for years, I rarely move the pci and i wait for a pitch down the middle. I just dont have the reaction time to move the pci all around. I tried timing before, and directional last year, but I had more success with zone and a stationary pci. What drove me nuts with timing/directional hitting was when a pitcher left a hanging curve right down the middle, and you had great timing with a good hitter, only to dribble and out to an infielder. The complete and utter randomness of timing/directional basically made me feel like I was just simming the game rather than playing and affecting the outcome.

I have great hope this year for timing/directional hitting, and plan to use it as my default batting method. I really, really hope there is a distinct difference compared to previous years as the dev's have suggested.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
Yeah, Ive been a zone hitter for years, I rarely move the pci and i wait for a pitch down the middle. I just dont have the reaction time to move the pci all around. I tried timing before, and directional last year, but I had more success with zone and a stationary pci. What drove me nuts with timing/directional hitting was when a pitcher left a hanging curve right down the middle, and you had great timing with a good hitter, only to dribble and out to an infielder. The complete and utter randomness of timing/directional basically made me feel like I was just simming the game rather than playing and affecting the outcome.

I have great hope this year for timing/directional hitting, and plan to use it as my default batting method. I really, really hope there is a distinct difference compared to previous years as the dev's have suggested.

I use zone the same way, leaving it centered 99% of the time and waiting for a good pitch. I used Zone all the way up to 15. In 15 I started using directional and did okay but recently went back to zone. But, like you, I am never fast enough to make on the fly adjustments to the PCI before I swing.

I am not sure what I will choose in 2016.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I use zone the same way, leaving it centered 99% of the time and waiting for a good pitch. I used Zone all the way up to 15. In 15 I started using directional and did okay but recently went back to zone. But, like you, I am never fast enough to make on the fly adjustments to the PCI before I swing.

I am not sure what I will choose in 2016.
One thing the game could do to massively help us slow reacting people is allow the PCI to continue to move until impact with the ball is made rather than just when the X button is pressed.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »