Home

Pipe dream? 2 year dev cycle?

This is a discussion on Pipe dream? 2 year dev cycle? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #1
Rookie

zrtelford's Arena

OVR: 3

I put this here, because I think this is maybe the one major sports game team that could get away with it. First off who would be for a 2 year dev cycle? Now here me out, I know they would potentially lose a lot of money, however, what if in the in between year, instead of a game, they released some paid DLC, roster and face scan updates, etc, that were handled by a smaller separate team, while the main team worked on a game that released bi-annually.

I just think that sports games unlike most other genres are forced into the annual release paradigm, and because of this, features, enhancements, and changes get cut, or cannot be implemented, its just not realistic in such a short cycle. Like the fact it took us till this year to get closed and open roofs. these guys are smart, and know what they are doing, its just they don't have the resources to allocate to things like this that get moved down the priority list.

I for one would love this. I know Rory Mcilroy Golf is doing something of this nature, but i would love to see a major game, ala NBA2k, madden or the show give it a shot. Like i said, its probably a pipe dream.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Pipe dream? 2 year dev cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtelford
I put this here, because I think this is maybe the one major sports game team that could get away with it. First off who would be for a 2 year dev cycle? Now here me out, I know they would potentially lose a lot of money, however, what if in the in between year, instead of a game, they released some paid DLC, roster and face scan updates, etc, that were handled by a smaller separate team, while the main team worked on a game that released bi-annually.

I just think that sports games unlike most other genres are forced into the annual release paradigm, and because of this, features, enhancements, and changes get cut, or cannot be implemented, its just not realistic in such a short cycle. Like the fact it took us till this year to get closed and open roofs. these guys are smart, and know what they are doing, its just they don't have the resources to allocate to things like this that get moved down the priority list.

I for one would love this. I know Rory Mcilroy Golf is doing something of this nature, but i would love to see a major game, ala NBA2k, madden or the show give it a shot. Like i said, its probably a pipe dream.
Never going to happen, and it's pointless to explain why.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
Rookie

zrtelford's Arena

thanks for the response. And I am sure there are license obligations, business contracts, and other things down the line that would never allow it. I love your guys games and have zero negative to say about your product, Its just a matter of "what if" and the possibilities if you were given a bit more time.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

It's only pointless to explain why because companies of this size are trying to turn a profit. Not releasing a game for an entire year would mean losing out on potential profits. As much as we love this game, it's still a business and being as such, a company is not going to pass up on profit just so they can throw in relocation or a better challenge system. Why release a game every two years and make $10M when you can release a game every year and make the same money and continue to have requests for future improvements, meaning future sales and future profits? It's still a business.

This is in no way a knock against SCEA, it's just business and the point of a business is making money.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
Rookie

zrtelford's Arena

I totally get it. And they are NOT building the game from the ground up, its a series, that they tweak. Its not like the Last of Us, or the Witcher 3. I get that. I just sometimes feel bad for these teams that are forced into the annual release cycle. And when I say feel bad, I mean they can't reach their full potential because of time constraints. Even a Game Like WoW which I play was going to try and release an Xpan annually, and they couldn't pull it off. That being said what these teams do is pretty amazing.

Last edited by zrtelford; 03-03-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2016, 03:07 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

never going to happen. ever. horrible idea.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Answered and Done

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »