Home

Online Franchise

This is a discussion on Online Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #41
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Online Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycecg
but it almost sounds like you think this is going away, you can still do all that. it just wont have the stuff the offline franchise has, but what you mentioned that is still there.

But there are huge issues with it.
Injuries don't work.
No position player fatigue
Opening day every day
Schedule is the same
And many many more. This is a barebones mode that literally has gone untouched since mlb 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #42
Rookie

CrimsionXBL's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
but it almost sounds like you think this is going away, you can still do all that. it just wont have the stuff the offline franchise has, but what you mentioned that is still there.
And it's not us that makes it sound like it's going away, it's the Devs, once again the way they look at it is "there's not a lot of people playing this mode" so they don't sink resources into it, but with this remaining the same for the third straight year and none of the issues in the above post being touched, the numbers will continue to shrink.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #43
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

I think SCEA is content with where online franchise is (for the moment) & the amount of customers they will lose for standing pat on the mode is negligible. But the amount they potentially stand to gain for focusing elsehere is too great to pass up. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just saying sometimes it just is what it is. It's a very tricky & fine line between windmill tilting & ''nothing ventured, nothing gained''.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #44
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I think SCEA is content with where online franchise is (for the moment) & the amount of customers they will lose for standing pat on the mode is negligible. But the amount they potentially stand to gain for focusing elsehere is too great to pass up. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just saying sometimes it just is what it is. It's a very tricky & fine line between windmill tilting & ''nothing ventured, nothing gained''.
I've never played OF and probably never will because it will probably never be good enough.

The problem I have is when modes are added and then abandoned. If you're going to abandon it, don't waste the resources (that could have been used elsewhere) to develop it in the first place.

Putting in a new mode and then not having a long term, structured plan for it (exactly how much time and money will be used on it over the next 3 years, for example) is just poor management.

When companies add new modes and then abandon them (EA is famous for this) it makes them look like a child with ADHD. It's doing business by the seat of their pants. Like I said, poor management.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #45
MVP

Syce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
I've never played OF and probably never will because it will probably never be good enough.

The problem I have is when modes are added and then abandoned. If you're going to abandon it, don't waste the resources (that could have been used elsewhere) to develop it in the first place.

Putting in a new mode and then not having a long term, structured plan for it (exactly how much time and money will be used on it over the next 3 years, for example) is just poor management.

When companies add new modes and then abandon them (EA is famous for this) it makes them look like a child with ADHD. It's doing business by the seat of their pants. Like I said, poor management.
they develop it because you dont know how well its going to do, just like the 2 new DD modes, no one knows how well they will do until they see the numbers afterwards. new modes mean possibly more people joining the series, obviously online franchise has not lived up to the standards that SCEA initially thought.

for example the NHL series with GM Connected. they never knew that it would fail like it did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #46
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

Quote:
they develop it because you dont know how well its going to do, just like the 2 new DD modes, no one knows how well they will do until they see the numbers afterwards. new modes mean possibly more people joining the series, obviously online franchise has not lived up to the standards that SCEA initially thought.

for example the NHL series with GM Connected. they never knew that it would fail like it did.
Both OF and GM Connected (NHL) are failures largely because they were rolled out as bare bones, featureless modes (when compared to offline) and then got no further attention (including fixing the bugs and issues from the first iteration of the mode).

Again, "we won't fix it because no one plays it" should be "no one plays it because we won't fix it". Blaming the consumer is not a good look.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #47
MVP

Syce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
Both OF and GM Connected (NHL) are failures largely because they were rolled out as bare bones, featureless modes (when compared to offline) and then got no further attention (including fixing the bugs and issues from the first iteration of the mode).

Again, "we won't fix it because no one plays it" should be "no one plays it because we won't fix it". Blaming the consumer is not a good look.
actually if i remember correctly, GM Connected was Exactly just the offline GM mode, it lasted i think 2 or 3 years before they decided to remove it because not enough people played it.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #48
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

Quote:
actually if i remember correctly, GM Connected was Exactly just the offline GM mode, it lasted i think 2 or 3 years before they decided to remove it because not enough people played it.
GMC wasn't exactly like offline (no draft, for example). It was close, but not exact.

Also, it was "removed" during the jump to the current gen consoles.

However, it was a pain because of the horrible advance times and the poorly structured offseason (you were forced to do things that were completely unnecessary and sit through 10-minute advance times for each one). Those are things that could have been fixed (see NCAA Football's Dynasty Mode).
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »