Home

MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19
The Best Franchise Mode of 2019: NBA 2K20's MyLeague
Worst Trend in Sports Games in 2019: Single-Player Modes Getting Shafted
Does the XFL interest you at all? -- Click here to cast your vote now!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2016, 01:49 AM   #81
MVP
 
Dolenz's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Decatur, Il
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC22
Jason How many innings did Wainwright pitch last season?
Wainwright pitched 28 innings and his injury was not pitching or arm related. Add to that fact that the devs said they threw out injured years for players and you are left with his 2013 and 2014 stats, the years he came in second and third in the Cy Young Voting.

Shoot, even in his 28 innings last year he had a 1.61 era and 20 strikeouts.

Anyway, even at 90 I am not going to hesitate to put him on my squad if I can get him. The fact that he is a gold means I have a chance to get him in my opening day packs and if not then maybe he will be cheaper in the market. I need him for that players who are over 6'4" mission

And the name is Tom
Dolenz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2016, 03:00 AM   #82
MVP
 
MetsFan16's Arena
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Though I do know these ratings cannot be changed and altered in Online play, I have never felt that a pitcher rated 84 pitches worse than a pitcher rated 88. It all depends on how you do that day, what difficulty you play on and basically how good you are at pitching. Some days you're unhittable with a 83 overall and some games you're getting hit around with a 90 overall. Though I do know ratings matter and contribute to how good a player is, it doesn't have too much of an effect on gameplay in my eyes.
__________________
Let's Go Mets
MetsFan16 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #83
MVP
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,856
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I only listed players that have the same fWAR as Marte. Different players bring different value and Marte's value was roughly the same as the players I listed.

For instance Upton may have only hit .251, but his OBP matched Marte's.

Marte may have hit 2 more home runs than Peralta, but his slugging and OPS were well below Peralta's.
I don't see the significance of Upton matching Marte in OBP. You want a player who hit 7 more HRs against a player who hit for higher average and stole more bases and won GG and Wilson defensive Player of the Year? If so, you can have him and I'll take Marte.

Marte is aggressive and will strike out but he does steal bases much better than Peralta, who also strikes out. I believe Kiermaier is an A this year based on his defense. Well, Marte won GG and Wilson defensive player of the year. Now I'm not saying Marte is as good defensively as Kiermaier, but Marte does hit better than him.

Now it's time for war, I mean WAR: Marte 5.3 and Peralta 3.7
Cavicchi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #84
MVP
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,856
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
....
The last three years of WAR

Upton 2.6, 3.3, 4.4

Marte 5.5, 5.1, 5.3

Peralta just two years 1.7, 3.7

Cavicchi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #85
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missouri
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
Wainwright pitched 28 innings and his injury was not pitching or arm related. Add to that fact that the devs said they threw out injured years for players and you are left with his 2013 and 2014 stats, the years he came in second and third in the Cy Young Voting.

Shoot, even in his 28 innings last year he had a 1.61 era and 20 strikeouts.

Anyway, even at 90 I am not going to hesitate to put him on my squad if I can get him. The fact that he is a gold means I have a chance to get him in my opening day packs and if not then maybe he will be cheaper in the market. I need him for that players who are over 6'4" mission

And the name is Tom
The devs didn't say they "throw out injured years". Fernandez and Harvey had a durability of 42 in the show 15 following injuries in 2014 which caused them to miss all (Harvey) or most (Fernandez) of the season.
__________________
tessl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #86
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missouri
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachprattico2
Ellsbury is a top 3 CF in mlb...he was clearly hurt...look at stats before he got hurt....82 is crap and Tanaka is only 88...that's definitely not fair...he lead AL in WHIP and also pitched hurt...you'll see this year what's up and they'll have to update them...glad to hear your a fan tho!
The problem with what you are advocating is around 2,000 players set foot on a MLB field every season and the devs have to base their attributes on statistics. If they start basing it on their opinion of what a guy would have done if this or that would or wouldn't have happened they would have massive complaints about being biased because the attributes wouldn't match reality.

Another thing I see every year at this time when the ratings are revealed is the focus on OVR. The focus should be on attributes. Two players with the save OVR can be significantly different players. A great example is Heyward. If you value a glove in RF he is a dream player who you would value highly. If you prefer a slugger in RF you would likely prefer one of several players with a lower OVR. There are catchers who can hit but have poor defense who will have a similar OVR to a catcher who can't hit but has good defense. The OVR tells you little about those players. There are also players with a good OVR but terrible durability who I wouldn't want in my franchise. I have never traded for a guy or traded a guy away because of his OVR.
__________________
tessl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #87
Rookie
 
Threeebs's Arena
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I don't see the significance of Upton matching Marte in OBP. You want a player who hit 7 more HRs against a player who hit for higher average and stole more bases and won GG and Wilson defensive Player of the Year? If so, you can have him and I'll take Marte.

Marte is aggressive and will strike out but he does steal bases much better than Peralta, who also strikes out. I believe Kiermaier is an A this year based on his defense. Well, Marte won GG and Wilson defensive player of the year. Now I'm not saying Marte is as good defensively as Kiermaier, but Marte does hit better than him.

Now it's time for war, I mean WAR: Marte 5.3 and Peralta 3.7
The significance in Upton matching Marte's OBP is that they were on base the same amount of time. Just because Upton didn't hit for a better average than Marte doesn mean he wasn't as valuable with the bat. Upton was clearly just unlucky with BABIP.

The reason he's beating him in WAR is because of his defence. Both players are fine players mind you...
__________________
T.K.
Threeebs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #88
MVP
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,856
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeebs
The significance in Upton matching Marte's OBP is that they were on base the same amount of time. Just because Upton didn't hit for a better average than Marte doesn mean he wasn't as valuable with the bat. Upton was clearly just unlucky with BABIP.

The reason he's beating him in WAR is because of his defence. Both players are fine players mind you...
That is an assumption on your part about defense. Batting average and stolen bases are likely also considered aside from defense--that is an assumption on my part.

Upton is rated higher with overall and potential. Meanwhile, The Shredder had Marte as best LF going into this season. Who am I to say The Shredder is wrong? I am in my house and The Shredder is on TV.
Cavicchi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Top -