Home

Utility Players

This is a discussion on Utility Players within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Utility Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I'm going from memory but I think it used to be secondary position played at 80% of their fielding ability and out of position was at 60%. I think a secondary position should take more than a 5% drop but I'm fine with whatever the devs come up with. For example most second basemen may be eligible to play shortstop in a pinch but there is a reason their primary position is second base. There really are not a lot of guys capable of moving all over the field defensively seamlessly.
I think this is right.....and if they changed it....I think the lower % is for the better.

I've been asking for a true utility player option in the editor FOREVER!!!

But....I think Luis said that "like" positions would take lower hits even if not listed as a pri/sec.......I'll try and find that out.....so that would help a bit.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #18
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

But....I think Luis said that "like" positions would take lower hits even if not listed as a pri/sec.......I'll try and find that out.....so that would help a bit.

M.K.
Knight165
They mentioned it in one of the first few streams.

Edit. This stream Starts at 25:35 Mostly about animations but he mentions some of what you guys are talking about.

Last edited by dalger21; 03-21-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #19
Rookie

ruskoz's Arena

OVR: 1

A new rating for position adaptability (PA) would work nice here. A true utility player would have a high rating. A player that is a one position play would have a very low position adaptability. So players like Ben Zobrist, Josh Harrison, Bonifacio, Aviles, Alexi Amarista, Don Kelly, Sean Rodriguez, Willie Bloomquist would have highest ratings and would increase their overall. These Guys bring value to their squads that is not currently reflected in the game.

So lets say Zobrist has position adaptability rating of 94. Using his real and in The Show game stats (as they accumulate) his position adaptability rating is determined by games started, Fld% and PA rating. A simple formula can be constructed to create a penalty modifier from this that can be applied to every player based off of real and The Show game...

This is needed instead of the current generic fixed positional penalties. This should be done for a real positional experience that this great sim deserves.

Last edited by ruskoz; 03-21-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
Bacon's Fictional Roster

bacon96's Arena

OVR: 0

I know you guys are talking big picture...but you can already train your RTTS guy to become a utility player. You just ask to change positions and then your former primary position becomes another secondary. However, I'd still really like to see a checklist for each secondary positions or at least an all-but-catcher utility option.

Join my Discord Server!

#BaseballisBetter
Old 03-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #21
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon96
I know you guys are talking big picture...but you can already train your RTTS guy to become a utility player. You just ask to change positions and then your former primary position becomes another secondary. However, I'd still really like to see a checklist for each secondary positions or at least an all-but-catcher utility option.
Who said you could come out of the roster cage? HUH? WHO?

Back to work!

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #22
Bacon's Fictional Roster

bacon96's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Who said you could come out of the roster cage? HUH? WHO?

Back to work!
I can play the game too!

Join my Discord Server!

#BaseballisBetter
Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
I can play the game too!
No. No you can't, get back to work. You can play when you are done with all of your work.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #24
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:

True, but I don't want to make a utility player in RTTS. I want my organization to develop me into one. If like to do that same with my prospects in franchise. Say I'm a SS with good speed, good reaction, but little power. Maybe my organization comes to me and says they want me to play CF and it will get me to the MLB faster. Maybe I'm on the Indians and blocked by Lindor. I would like those type of decisions on RTTS. It's what real prospects have to deal with as they progress through the minors. They rarely get to just say, "I'm a SS now!".

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »