Home

MLB The Show 16 Impressions Thread (Impressions Only)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Impressions Thread (Impressions Only) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
MLB The Show 16 Impressions Thread (Impressions Only)

This is the impressions thread only. Do not ask any questions. There will be a separate Q&A thread.

Only those who have confirmed they have the game with a staff member of OS may post impressions. Right now the following users have been confirmed and can post impressions.

ckarlic
NAFBUC
PsychoBulk
merchant1874

Last edited by Bullit; 03-24-2016 at 08:05 AM. Reason: adding
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: MLB The Show 16 Impressions Thread (Impressions Only)

Thanks PVarck31

Initial thoughts...little nervous when during the install the disc would pop out and say corrupted data, delete data and try again. (not exact words)

After the 5th attempt, I was desperate, (I have 'gold') in my mitts and can not install the damn game! I have never had this happen before. ( I posted yesterday I might be getting to cocky posting about getting the game early)

Well, in the end, I deleted MLB15, and was finally able to install 16. (whew!)

I have not really played an inning yet. I am assisting Roster/Franchise guys at the moment.

But so far when playing as the Royals against the Mets, as The Show installs,
WOW!!

If you are undecided, slap yourself, and order The Show.

Will be playing much more after midnight, and post my thoughts.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

quick reminder......anyone with early observations...

Patch #1 has not been applied until online is available.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

Played a couple of random games/innings and so far this year's iteration is by far the best that I have played. Couple of things stood out for me during my short time playing the game tonight. One of those things is the sound the bat makes when it comes in contact with the ball. It has been improved for the better. The other is the presentation and the broadcast team. The presentation during the game and overlays are a nice welcome as well as the new lines from the broadcast team (yeah i know that after a long season these may get repetitive but my initial impressions are very positive with regards to the presentation)

I embedded my archived stream to this post in case you missed it.

I was just taking some requests. The first game was the Yankees at Braves and the second was The Blue Jays at the Mariners (Closed roof/rain 4pm start time) Also, if you notice that my hitting cam is set to MLB 15 the Show's default cam. I had a hard time hitting using the fish eye cam but I may still use it from time to time to switch things up a bit.

Im looking forward to getting more time in with the game in the next few days and hope to have more impressions.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by ckarlic; 03-22-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Am i ok to pop this in here as proof mods?

Some early impressions to come when i play on my lunch later.

If you want to delete this and put my name in the top post thats fine too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

OVR: 6

Same as Physcho

Old 03-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I got a digital one and I can send pics later to prove it but wanted to post my impression and let everyone know I am streaming it tomorrow at 4CT before I go to bed working graveyard shift.

First thing...if you get digital....it takes forever to download and install. I am not sure why but it took almost 8 hours so I could only play the demo. The game felt very choppy at first (because I only had some of partially downloaded/installed) so don't be alarmed if it feels choppy when you first try the demo after the initial 4 gb install.

Gameplay wise-
Plays tons of RTTS and one game of franchise so most of my opinions will be extracted from RTTS. I have a RTTS character from 14 that is maxed out currently. The game plays smooth, lot more animations, graphics, models, stadiums, etc look even better. Presentation is awesome.

Precision Input- It is wayyyy better and more reflective on how accurate you are with your inputs. I use zone and I did not see any anomalies at all. It felt more like the PCI represented the barrel of the bat and I believe this is a good thing. MOre skill=more rewards.

Meter pitching felt a bit more difficult, but Analog felt roughly the same and I pitch on AS-HOF difficulty.

I still need to try directional though for this.

The one glaring difference to me, however, is this game has a more "open timing" than the past few years of the show's iterations. If you guys played 13 then it feels very similar to that. The pitch speed doesn't seem like it is coming any faster, but that have slightly more time to swing in order to pull it. It is very easy to pull the ball and I was hitting well over .400 with my RTTS guy on legend. I even bumped up pitch speed to 10/10 (there is fastball and offspeed slider now) and it felt more like 14/15. I think the hitting is going to be a bit easier in regards to reaction, but that it could be more difficult for aiming your PCI.

I have not tried zone or analog (heard pure analog will be in patch 1 too), so I am not sure on those.

Umpires seem to call a bit more wide strikes and I did notice some differences. I want to start tracking their tendencies so I can learn which umpire will give what. Pretty cool feature they added and I noticed it.

One thing I was slightly disappointed in were the cameras. I enjoyed the zoom cameras last year and now most of them are gone. Fortunately, my favorite one did return but I think some may be disappointed especially if you play online and cannot customize it.

Sounds of the show is something more I will play with, but I really think this is something huge that is returning and not being talked about much. I plan to dive more into this tomorrow.

I do plan to stream tomorrow on twitch at twitch.tv/cardinalbird5 and I will be doing tons of tips, introduction vids, roster/team breakdowns, etc on my youtube channel as well which you can find by searching cardinalbird5. If you guys want to see anything specific let me know!

Youtube
Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

After putting in a lot of hours with the game yesterday I am very impressed with this year's version. The lighting and sound is phenomenal. The game sounds great through my headset (Astro A50). I chatted with Millenium on PSN and he can verify that the game sounds great through his surround sound system as well. The announcers are more alive this year and there are plenty of new overlays that brings a freshness feel to the game. I know a few people have complained about the player models but I do not see any issue with them.

The hit variety is great too and if you are a zone hitting player, the ball comes off at different angles depending on where the PCI meets the ball. I forget what Ramone called this (True something ) but it is noticeable and it works. It also works the same with Meter pitching. Definitely a welcomed addition.

I am really looking forward to starting my Yankees franchise over again this year but will most likely wait until OSFM rosters are released.

Im going to hold off on streaming media a bit since I hear there is an embargo until Saturday but I can still answer some questions for you guys in the Q&A thread if I have time.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by ckarlic; 03-24-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »