Home

Official 2016 uniform errors and omissions

This is a discussion on Official 2016 uniform errors and omissions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #41

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Official 2016 uniform errors and omissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU151
And the theory that MLB The Show is bound to the style guide because of the license, when every other company doesn't have to use it, just doesn't add up. Hopefully some lawyer would start asking questions about the requirements of the license.
What other company?

Tell me another company that has an EXCLUSIVE license with them that would be held liable to the style guide.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I have no idea what they pay if you're looking for an exact amount.

When I coached in High School, we had to fund-raise to pay for equipment.

When I played and coached in college, the school footed the bill for the majority of the equipment.

From those I know who have played in or coached in professional baseball they never payed for any equipment other than accessories they wanted themselves.

I can tell you nothing is free, they don't just mass produce this stuff without someone paying them for it.
You are correct - your friends in pro baseball never paid for any apparel, except for customized accessories (and even then, probably at cost). Like I said, that's how it works in the big leagues. MLB teams don't pay suppliers for jerseys.

Pro teams don't pay anything (well, maybe shipping costs) to the suppliers. Suppliers pay the teams to wear the manufacturer's logo. There might be maximum amounts in the deal (I know in the NFL there's a max to the number of jerseys a team can order), but honestly, Majestic isn't paying hundreds of millions to MLB only to be paid back. That's how sponsorship works. Gatorade and Nike paid Michael Jordan...if you can find the last time Michael Jordan paid for a Gatorade or a pair of basketball shoes as a pro athlete, I will sell you a bridge in New York.

Majestic and New Era make their money back by selling apparel and equipment to fans and amateurs. So yes, they mass produce this stuff for the teams for free thanks to the dollars spent by the fans.

Last edited by WSU151; 03-29-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
What other company?

Tell me another company that has an EXCLUSIVE license with them that would be held liable to the style guide.
New Era has the exclusive license to on-field hats.

Majestic has the exclusive license to on-field jerseys and jackets.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:58 PM   #44

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
You are correct - your friends in pro baseball never paid for any apparel, except for customized accessories (and even then, probably at cost). Like I said, that's how it works in the big leagues. MLB teams don't pay suppliers for jerseys.

Pro teams don't pay anything (well, maybe shipping costs) to the suppliers. Suppliers pay the teams to wear the manufacturer's logo. There might be maximum amounts in the deal (I know in the NFL there's a max to the number of jerseys a team can order), but honestly, Majestic isn't paying hundreds of millions to MLB only to be paid back. That's how sponsorship works. Gatorade and Nike paid Michael Jordan...if you can find the last time Michael Jordan paid for a Gatorade or a pair of basketball shoes as a pro athlete, I will sell you a bridge in New York.

Majestic and New Era make their money back by selling apparel and equipment to fans and amateurs. So yes, they mass produce this stuff for the teams for free thanks to the dollars spent by the fans.
Quote:
New Era has the exclusive license to on-field hats.

Majestic has the exclusive license to on-field jerseys and jackets.
You just proved my point, whether the team is paying it or the MLB is. Someone is.

My business is in economics and I have never had the pleasure of working in an MLB front office. I can assure you that no company is giving a free pass to get their brand out there with every team.

That's what endorsements with players is for.

Last edited by kehlis; 03-30-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 AM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
You just proved my point, whether the team is paying it or the MLB is. Someone is.

My business is in economics and I have never had the pleasure of working in an MLB front office. I can assure you that no company is giving a free pass to get their brand out there with every team.

That's what endorsements with players is for.
Your point was MLB teams (or the league itself) pay Majestic and New Era to make their jerseys.

Which they don't.

Your other point was companies that have exclusive licenses with MLB must be bound by the style guide. Which apparently they aren't.

Majestic and New Era pay the teams and also give them jerseys for free. Seriously, I'm not making this up. I'm pretty sure Nike gives NFL teams free jerseys too. All of the suppliers are paid back via the consumer in the stands, people who will pay a premium to buy the authentic product.

Your experience in high school and college is not the way it works in the big leagues.

My degree is in economics too, man. And I understand how suppliers give money and apparel to pro athletes without charging them for it. The cost is passed on to others (i.e., us the consumer).

Last edited by WSU151; 03-30-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #46

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Your point was MLB teams (or the league itself) pay Majestic and New Era to make their jerseys.

Which they don't.

Majestic and New Era pay the teams and also give them jerseys for free. Seriously, I'm not making this up. I'm pretty sure Nike gives NFL teams free jerseys too. All of the suppliers are paid back via the consumer in the stands, people who will pay a premium to buy the authentic product.

Your experience in high school and college is not the way it works in the big leagues.

My degree is in economics too, man. And I understand how suppliers give money and apparel to pro athletes without charging them for it. The cost is passed on to others (i.e., us the consumer).
Okay then.

I only brought up my previous experience elsewhere because you were the one who asked that question in the first place (in case you forgot). Always a red flag when someone questions one on something and gets defensive when they get an answer they weren't expecting but carry on. You're drawing at straws, you can respond here if you want but if you want more details PM me.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Last edited by kehlis; 03-30-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 AM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Okay then.

I only brought up my previous experience elsewhere because you were the one who asked that question in the first place (in case you forgot). Always a red flag when someone questions one on something and gets defensive when they get an answer they weren't expecting but carry on. You're drawing at straws, you can respond here if you want but if you want more details PM me.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore.
I'm drawing at straws by explaining to you how sports marketing, apparel deals, and sponsorships work at the pro level?

Hahahaha. Wow. Thank you for quitting this discussion then.

Last edited by WSU151; 03-30-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 AM   #48
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
I wonder if they can't ask the teams themselves about the style guide? One year I think I heard someone say that if you don't like it, write a letter to the team. Why can't SCEA do that? Who's going to have more clout, Mr. Joe Schmoe fan, or a big company that partners with MLB? I can't for the life of me understand why MLB would get all bent out of shape over accurately-portrayed uniforms.

And why do we only have the same amount of slots that we've had since I believe 06? I know, the files are big. But you know what? Figure it out! I remember ESPN NFL 2K5 had pretty much every uniform every team ever wore since like 1960.

Jerseys have needed work for years. We're the consumers. Make us happy!
Completely agree with this. There are always "mistakes" made in sports games with regards to jersey accuracy. I understand there are legalities involved, but do you really think MLB is going to get bent out of shape if game developers don't follow everything on style guide, and just follow whats been worn in-game for the past 3-4 years? I know its much easier for me, the consumer, to complain about compared to an MLB partner, but it is very frustrating.

On another note, I wish they would give us some retro generic cleats we could edit. Shoe maker would be ideal, but just a couple of clipper cleats would be so nice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »