Home

Official MLB 16 : Road to the Show Thread

This is a discussion on Official MLB 16 : Road to the Show Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #377
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Official MLB 16 : Road to the Show Thread

I have been playing MLB The Show since 2008 and have owned 2008, 2010 (which I just finished my RTTS show character last year) and now 2016. So after skipping from 2010 to 2016, I have a few observations:

1. I don't play games online, so that wipes out a lot of modes from 2016. I think I can only play RTTS (the only one I really care about anyway) and Franchise.

2. I violently hate the baserunning controls. I hate everything about the stick controls. The button controls are ok, except that I don't know how to steal bases (R2?) which is also the showtime button. I have to play with the button controls until I get a single, switch to the analog to try and steal second, and then switch back to the button controls. I also hate that it doesn't start the next batter at a 0-0 count so sometimes I can't steal bases because the batter already has a full count.

3. Sidenote, there is a spelling error in one of the options. I'm not sure if it's in the watch pitch selection, but one of the choices has a description that misspells "baserunning" as "baserunnnig"

4. I like the Guess Pitch Feature of 2010 better. I preferred being able to just guess the pitch (as opposed to pitch and location) Granted I don't like how the easy mode only throws 1 pitch and only for strikes (so I can't draw walks). I can switch out of that but then it goes from too easy to too hard with the multi step guess pitch process.

5. I don't like how the training attribute process doesn't say how long it's been since each attribute was trained. I also prefer the 2010 version where you could spend 40 points at a time and get a certain amount of progress in each field. The reason I prefer this is that when you are completely filled up, you only have to spend 40 points each for the fields once they start declining (I think they should be locked in at full too). In 2016, you have to spend the highest possible amount for each attribute and that's really annoying.

6. I like how you can be a left handed SS, 2B, and 3B in this game, although I think you have to start out as one. I was a SS and got drafted by Boston (my favorite team) and then switched to RF to not be in competition with Bogaerts and now I can't switch back to SS.

7. I really like the pitching in this game, although I wish that you could get points for your contributions as a batter.

8. I like showtime, and I like the presence of in game "consumable" rewards, although I like the trophy awards for 2010 better (ie play a game in each ballpark, hit 2 HR's above the Green Monster in a game etc)

9. I'm not a fan of OF fielding in this game. My guy gets errors for balls he doesn't touch (which is against the rules as you can't get an error if you don't touch the ball) so I preferred the fielding in 2010. It was also much easier to throw out runners then than it is now. I like the SS fielding in 2016.

Overall, all things being equal (in other words eliminate the graphics difference between 2010 and 2016) I think I prefer 2010 The Show over 2016 The Show. (Considering that I created an account just to vent about 2016 The Show)
Old 09-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #378
MVP

OVR: 26

For button stealing, R1 for leadoff, R2 for showtime, then R1 to steal works for me. Let go of R1 as you approach the base will stop you going beyond 2nd or 3rd.

6-8 weeks for training if I remember correctly, likely more like 8.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #379
Pro

shark547's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3207
First time with the show in about 5 years-last time was with '12 on ps3. Here are my impressions:

I really enjoyed the scouting showcase before the draft, but wonder if it's even possible to be drafted in the first round.

Trainings don't seem to give you any benefit. You get an award, but that seems the extent of it. I suppose it's better t just improve stats in gameplay.

The screen graphic distracts me in the Show On feature, so it seems best to avoid it for the time being.

I'll assume the best way to build a position player is still focusing on the 5 main-speed, contact, power, fielding, and that other one. Power always seems the best stat to top out first.
The number one attribute to max out first is durability. You can't improve if you aren't playing. This also slows your progress a little keeping you in the minors so you can improve your player so he isn't overwhelmed at the next level.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #380
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark547
The number one attribute to max out first is durability. You can't improve if you aren't playing. This also slows your progress a little keeping you in the minors so you can improve your player so he isn't overwhelmed at the next level.
It's a fair point, although Plate Vision might be a better choice for a rating that slows your development and also will give you perks. Increasing your PCI will also prepare you for the next level when the time comes.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #381
Rookie

consecutive27's Arena

For RTTS catchers, how often do you have the opportunity to throw out a base runner attempting to steal?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #382
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive27
For RTTS catchers, how often do you have the opportunity to throw out a base runner attempting to steal?
Keep in mind I haven't made a catcher, but given how much base stealing the CPU seems to do, you'll definitely get your chances.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #383
Banned

OVR: 27

Haven't touched my last RTTS player since April. Was a carryover from 15. Been so into my Phillies Franchise this year I just stopped playing it.

Decided to start a new RTTS to have some fun with. Gonna mix it up and play it arcade-like for fun. Just mash and pad stats no matter how ridiculous they are. Will be a nice change of pace from my normal sim style of play. Gonna play it on Rookie and max out all hitting sliders. Should be fun.

Created a 21 year old power hitting first baseman (obviously) and was drafted in the 3rd round by the Brewers. Through the first 2 games in AA he is already 6-8 with 3 home runs and 5 RBI. Lol.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #384
MVP

Funny thing is, I'm hitting much better at default sliders than I ever did trying to max out hitting sliders and lower Pitch Consistently and the other piching sliders.

It took forever for me to be moved off the MLB bench role-1 1/2 years with the Rays. It used to be just a few months you were in that role. I'm still considering asking for a trade, just because the way I was treated by the Rays manager now I'm in a starting role.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »