Home

Falling Rain

This is a discussion on Falling Rain within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

OVR: 4
Falling Rain

Thought about putting this in the impression thread but since I plan to post my full impressions later, after some time with the game, I wanted to post this.

Had a couple games in my RTTS last night and it was raining (night games). My first impressions were, "Wow, the rain looks pretty good." Then I watched a bit longer and it feels like the rain is nothing more than a pretty overlay, detached from the actual world. I really like the detail they put into the rain but its so good looking now that it actually works against it, at least I feel that way.

I didn't notice any water on anything else. The dugouts were clean, shirts were dry looking, the field I thought was a little wetter but after playing a normal game, it was the same amount as if the grounds crew had wet it, if anything, there were multiple dry spots during the rain.

I post this to get some discussion and see if maybe its a bug with my version. After the initial "oh ah" of seeing the improve rain I felt very let down by the rest of the experience. It'd be cool seeing drops of water on the helmets, maybe dripping down in from the pitcher's bill. Uniforms looking a little heavier and wetter. Some wet patches where a bit of rain has collected and guys with towels and their under arms trying to dry off their bats and the ball etc. Maybe some of that is there and its just bugged on mine?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
MVP

XxKnicksRules215xX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Falling Rain

Interesting observation, I also saw the PBR mania but when I saw the clocks in the dug out still looking untouched and still @ 3 pm I thought hmmm hoe could they miss the clocks.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

... ... SMH. Time to step away an not come back to these forums for a week or so.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
... ... SMH. Time to step away an not come back to these forums for a week or so.
He brings up a valid point and gave his opinion in a mature manner.. What's the problem?

I'm gonna get into some games tonight OP and I'll be on the lookout during a rainy game. Hopefully if this is the case, they can further improve weather effects with the evolution of PBR.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I personally love how looks at night under the lights.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Yeah not sure where the issue is here. MLB The Show has been known for its crazy amount of detail. I was impressed by the new rain texture and legitimately wondering if this detail was somehow missing due to a bug or just not included. There have been times in the past that lighting effects or something similar weren't working and were fixed/added in a patch which improved the look/feel of the game by a large margin. It isn't completely out of the realm of believability that this could be an issue here.

Also I didn't post a complaint or gripe, if anything I wanted to see what others thought about this before I completely made my own mind up about it. Thanks for taking the time to add to the discussion though.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykraven
Thought about putting this in the impression thread but since I plan to post my full impressions later, after some time with the game, I wanted to post this.

Had a couple games in my RTTS last night and it was raining (night games). My first impressions were, "Wow, the rain looks pretty good." Then I watched a bit longer and it feels like the rain is nothing more than a pretty overlay, detached from the actual world. I really like the detail they put into the rain but its so good looking now that it actually works against it, at least I feel that way.

I didn't notice any water on anything else. The dugouts were clean, shirts were dry looking, the field I thought was a little wetter but after playing a normal game, it was the same amount as if the grounds crew had wet it, if anything, there were multiple dry spots during the rain.

I post this to get some discussion and see if maybe its a bug with my version. After the initial "oh ah" of seeing the improve rain I felt very let down by the rest of the experience. It'd be cool seeing drops of water on the helmets, maybe dripping down in from the pitcher's bill. Uniforms looking a little heavier and wetter. Some wet patches where a bit of rain has collected and guys with towels and their under arms trying to dry off their bats and the ball etc. Maybe some of that is there and its just bugged on mine?
There's nothing wrong with your game.

The rain is purely cosmetic in the game. It doesn't effect the playing field or anything else, its just a visual.

I too, would like for it to have an impact on the field, drip from dugouts, helmets, etc.. Hopefully one version in the not so distant future....like The Show '17

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I personally love how looks at night under the lights.
Absolutely, it looks incredible which is why I even brought up the "nothing is wet" points. Just seems out of place in comparison. They did an incredible job with the rain falling effect and I appreciate that!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »