Home

Breaking pitches.

This is a discussion on Breaking pitches. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Breaking pitches.

That is not bizare, but pretty common. The 12-6 curveball is the most difficult of pitches to throw where you want it to go. The variance in location of Arrieta's is typical of a very good one. Just altering his right leg's drive off the pitching rubber can cause the variance in its final location. It is also the most difficult of the breaking balls for the plate umpire to call a strike. He be fooled by the pitch more than the hitter.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #18
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I've kind of thought this as well.

If the developers are trying to simulate different breaks that's all well and good. However, I would just assume to have the same "indicated" break every time but just with a different result. Take a fastball for example. You place the ball marker where you want and pitch. Sometimes it goes perfectly straight, sometimes it rises just a hair, and other times in make break a bit. But I don't want to see it in the display prior to the pitch.

On the other hand, I agree with a 12-6 curve. It shouldn't break armside.
Fastballs stay straight, run in, dive, cut, or any combination of the 4. They do not rise.

Every time you throw a breaking pitch it won't have the same break (some are sharper/better and some you just don't finish the pitch and it flattens out). But to have a 12-6 from a righty break arm side is something that needs to be corrected and removed. It's not possible.

I use classic with no visuals so I guess it won't really impact my game. However if I see a 12-6 break arm side I'm going to make a weird face.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 04-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #19
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
To any of you who think that the lack of consistency with breaking balls is a bug or a glitch: Have you ever tried to throw a breaking pitch in real life? As a former pitcher who threw a 12-6 curve (then, we called it a "drop"), I only threw a good one when all the variables were in line--grip, stride, release point, etc. Sometimes it would "back up," winding up on my arm side of the plate. I would also have to adjust stride, drive and release point the first time I threw one from the stretch position. Also, when fatigue crept in, that would also affect the consistency of its movement. And then, there were days when I would come out of the bullpen without throwing a decent one in warmups, only to have it fall off the table in the game (and visa versa). It would not be realistic to be able to achieve perfect 12-6 rotation and location on every pitch. Depending on your variables, it sometimes will look a little like a screwball, or dive into the dirt, especially a knuckle or spike curve ball. The best pitchers maintain consistency with their breaking pitches when they can keep their mechanics consistent. But, even then, nobody is perfect. You will get those days when everythlng is working on the mound, but those are rare times. I watch all of my games cpu-v-cpu and I think The Show's simulation of the pitching aspect of baseball is pretty realistic, in my opinion.
Just because the ball backs up and ends up arm side, doesn't mean it broke that way. You probably started it further arm side than you wanted to.

You literally can't throw a breaking ball that moves arm-side. The rotation won't allow it. You would have to put arm side spin on the ball, and you can't do that unless you pronate your hand. If you're pronating, you're throwing a screwball.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
That is not bizare, but pretty common. The 12-6 curveball is the most difficult of pitches to throw where you want it to go. The variance in location of Arrieta's is typical of a very good one. Just altering his right leg's drive off the pitching rubber can cause the variance in its final location. It is also the most difficult of the breaking balls for the plate umpire to call a strike. He be fooled by the pitch more than the hitter.
My comment was about the 12-5 curveball for a right handed pitcher. I don't think that's terribly common.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #21
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

I also threw a 12-6 curveball when I played, and it can indeed go the "wrong" or arm side way. It is never good because if that happens it is kind of floating rather than breaking and usually gets absolutely crushed. Announcers reference this all the time when a pitch "backs up on him" Means it broke in an unintended way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
I also threw a 12-6 curveball when I played, and it can indeed go the "wrong" or arm side way. It is never good because if that happens it is kind of floating rather than breaking and usually gets absolutely crushed. Announcers reference this all the time when a pitch "backs up on him" Means it broke in an unintended way.
I see your point. I never really considered that 12-5, just a hanger. But I guess I see how it could be described that way.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #23

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Breaking pitches.

A 12-5 "curveball" is a screwball.

A ball can not go that way without the corresponding spin to make it do so.

Edit: Didn't see Jr's post above but basically that.

Last edited by kehlis; 04-04-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Just because the ball backs up and ends up arm side, doesn't mean it broke that way. You probably started it further arm side than you wanted to.

You literally can't throw a breaking ball that moves arm-side. The rotation won't allow it. You would have to put arm side spin on the ball, and you can't do that unless you pronate your hand. If you're pronating, you're throwing a screwball.
This isn't completely true. When I pitched in little league I threw an arm side breaking ball with solid command. I made the county all star team 3 years in a row. Would love to hear your accolades, though. Just because we don't see it much doesn't mean it's impossible. It's just a technique that needs to be instituted at a young age. Muscle memory.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »