Home

Breaking pitches.

This is a discussion on Breaking pitches. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #49
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Breaking pitches.

I don't understand how an overhead armslot curveball could break to the armside.

Phsyics defy this thinking based on the pressure points a pitcher applies and the torque of his wrist.

Last edited by Speedy; 04-04-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I don't understand how an overhead armslot curveball could break to the armside.

Phsyics defy this thinking based on the pressure points a pitcher applies and the torque of his wrist.
Overhead arm slot, it is very very unlikely. But if the arm slot is off a bit to the non throwing side, then the ball will go arm side. Conversely, if the arm slot is off a bit to the throwing side, the ball will go to the non throwing side.

It very rarely happens, but it CAN happen.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #51

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
Overhead arm slot, it is very very unlikely. But if the arm slot is off a bit to the non throwing side, then the ball will go arm side. Conversely, if the arm slot is off a bit to the throwing side, the ball will go to the non throwing side.

In order for that to happen not only would the arm slot have to be off but so would the follow through which isn't going to happen to any pitcher.

In order to create the necessary spin the slot would have to be inside of where it's supposed to be but the follow through would have to go the opposite direction of what the pitcher always does which would never happen.

Even if the slot moves to the inside the follow through will still be straight down. Will result in a poor result but still wouldn't break arm side.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #52
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

If someone is trying to throw a curveball and it moves armside, there is something very wrong with how they are trying to throw it.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #53
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

Please show some video of a person whose arm slot is on their non-throwing side.

Wouldn't they just hit their own head as they tried to throw?

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 04-04-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #54
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

If a pitcher is throwing on a 3/4 arm slot and his mechanics are off to where he throws it, idk, sidearm or 4/5 arm slot...how will that affect whether the ball runs toward the arm side like you're stating?

Even if a pitcher is submarine, the way the pitcher torques the wrist is the side the pitch will be thrown. Basically - whatever side the palm faces is where the pitch is heading.

Anyways...I think we're digressing from the primary objective of the thread, understanding/seeing different breaks for breaking balls in the video game.

Last edited by Speedy; 04-04-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eF 5ive
This isn't completely true. When I pitched in little league I threw an arm side breaking ball with solid command. I made the county all star team 3 years in a row. Would love to hear your accolades, though. Just because we don't see it much doesn't mean it's impossible. It's just a technique that needs to be instituted at a young age. Muscle memory.
You wnat to know the difference? That County All Star will whiff on a hanging curve, but not big leaguers. You were most likely hanging your curve I highly doubt it was an effective pitch. And seriously who are you trying to impress county all start like really?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett59
You wnat to know the difference? That County All Star will whiff on a hanging curve, but not big leaguers. You were most likely hanging your curve I highly doubt it was an effective pitch. And seriously who are you trying to impress county all start like really?
Chill, Edgar Allen Bro. It's a county that's high on baseball. Plus I was an ace for our church league. The hostility isn't necessary. There are multiple factors that haven't been discussed such as wind variation and grip strength of pitcher. I measured my grip strength at 157 lbs of pressure in my prime. So obviously I am going to be able to throw my curves differently than someone inexperienced as yourself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »